[Dog people] Got a new dog today!

mznthrope

Contributor
Veteran X
Last night, I was sitting at the bar, happily enjoying a beer with some friends, when the bartender says, "hey Steve, aren't you looking for another dog?" She does dog rescue and found a long abandoned stray on Monday, just a few blocks away from here. She knows I've been looking for another Shiba Inu like Pirate for about a year now (his pic has been here before):

pirate_couch.jpg

Well, this guy isn't a shiba, but he's a damn good dog. I met him last night and knew I was going to adopt him. I took Pirate to neutral ground this morning so they could meet, and they got along great. The new guy is about five years old, a border collie/lab mix, really laid-back, and smarter than a dog has any right to be. He and Pirate are getting along great so far. I'm calling him Bill at this point:

bill2.jpg

When he settles in and his sore footpads heal, I think I might try him in agility.

nspectre said:
What a great find :bigthumb:

Looks like that back leg could use some TLC.

Yeah, the fur's a little screwy there because we had to snip out the tangles, but the leg itself is sound. He's in amazingly great shape considering what he's been through.

Thanks for all the good words re: adopting. I rescued Pirate, too, and there aren't many things that feel as good as the realization that you've just made sure a scared and tentative but loving and trusting animal doesn't ever have to worry about where his next meal's coming from again.

Steve! What a beautiful dog, good choice. I'm planning to adopt as well whenever I get myself an actual home (and not an apartment). If I get a dog, he needs a backyard to run in :)

Anyway how are ya? Haven't talked to you in ages!

shadowwolf said:
Steve! What a beautiful dog, good choice. I'm planning to adopt as well whenever I get myself an actual home (and not an apartment). If I get a dog, he needs a backyard to run in :)

Anyway how are ya? Haven't talked to you in ages!

Phil? Thought there was an x in your nick somewhere? :)

Things are great now that the wife is gone. Philly's a good place to be single. How's things in Canuckistan?

I have a fully fenced-in dog park a hundred yards away, so that's never really been an issue.

md: forgot the camera when I took the boys to the park. I'll post pics tomorrow evening.

rootb33r: your dog is amazingly cool--it's also very cool that you adopted.

Back