[TECH] Need an RCA to Coax converter

nSpectre

Musashi's Suck-pig, Rayn's Apprentice
Veteran XX
I have a huge Phillips Magnavox 27" color boobtube that I'm trying to hook various goodies up to, mainly my XBox. Unfortunately, this behemoth has ONLY a single coax input.

I need to find some way to convert the RCA video output of the xbox to coax. But as I've just found out (a buck and half later) you can't just stroll on down to Radio Shack and buy an RCA male to Coax male converter. It dun woik.

Anybody know what I should be looking for?

You need an RF converter, probably $20 bux or so.

Either that run it through a VCR aux input and use it's built in RF converter.

Get a new TV. Seriously. Otherwise, you're going to have to spend at LEAST $25 on the box that encodes the signal from composite (RCA) to coaxial.

Jugs, that won't do. The signals aren't compatible.

edit: Yeah, modulator, that's what it is. I'm serious about getting a new TV. Shit looks like ASS on coaxial compared to S-video and component.

Yea, Radio Shack will have one for about 20 bucks. They might be called something like a DVD Converter, or some shit like that that, but it's an RF converter. It requires a seperate power outlet, too. You'll also probably want to get a switch unit from them. They have a four-way switcher (and it may have an amplifier in there, too) for $20-$30. All in all, it's not that bad, if it's a good TV.

Yeah, I've seen a few RF converters and the suggestions of using a VCR, but they're all talking about going the other way. Taking an RF signal and converting it to an RCA composite signal. I'm going the other way.

And I already have the XBox converter, which works great, except... I can't peel off the audio to my new 5.1 speaker system. The XBox converter just has the single RF coax output to the TV. So I need to work in reverse. RCA composite to Coax RF.

Part of the problem is that the cable folks consider the RCA cables to be 75ohm coax, just with different connectors. So a search is turning out to be a pain. I've even seen BNC coax to RCA cables, which is why I figured I just needed a simple converter.

Jugger, *cough* that's RCA to RCA. Thanks, tho. :)

iNVAR said:
Get a new TV. Seriously. Otherwise, you're going to have to spend at LEAST $25 on the box that encodes the signal from composite (RCA) to coaxial.

Lessee, $200 to $500 for new TV...
$25 black box
$200 to $500
$25

A new TV isn't going to make a groin-clenching difference to XBox output.

:D

Edit: "rf modulator", bingo. Much better than what I was using.

Edit, Edit: That's exactly what I'm looking for. :roller:

Danke ya'll. Looks like I'll have to try a different, more knowledgeable, Radio Shack employee. The one I got didn't know shit, I had to find the connector myself.

Last edited:
Yeah, or do what Raze said. Your VCR takes RCA in and outputs it to coaxial just fine. So does that $8 gizmo I linked.

Yeah, that was an idea I shelved as I don't have a VCR and I don't want to deal with the fucking Magnavision copy-protection bullshit (or whatever it's called).

Yep, that's it. But the VCR is the second to last device in the chain, which would mean everything else flows through it. My buddy had that setup and we'd stumble across Macrovision problems all the time. Goddamn that shit was fucking annoying and absolutely senseless.

Who the fuck is going to copy a DVD to video cassette tape?!

It's bullshit anti-consumer / Fair Use bullshit like that that makes me scream, "Pirate away, boys! Pirate away!"

Especially when it does nothing to the real money-making pirates. They are making bulk copies, bit for bit. Macrovision and all.

Okay, I'm done ranting. :sunny:

nspectre said:
Yep, that's it. But the VCR is the second to last device in the chain, which would mean everything else flows through it. My buddy had that setup and we'd stumble across Macrovision problems all the time. Goddamn that shit was fucking annoying and absolutely senseless.

Who the fuck is going to copy a DVD to video cassette tape?!

It's bullshit anti-consumer / Fair Use bullshit like that that makes me scream, "Pirate away, boys! Pirate away!"

Especially when it does nothing to the real money-making pirates. They are making bulk copies, bit for bit. Macrovision and all.

Okay, I'm done ranting. :sunny:
I tried to copy a scene from a DVD to VHS for the purpose a high school project presentation. LOL I was pissed.

I am in your situation and am just getting the XBOX RF Modulator for 19.99$ because it will allow me to hook up cable TV to it too and I won't have to change channels an dshit to play game/watch DVD or just watch cable.

HomelessMute said:
I tried to copy a scene from a DVD to VHS for the purpose a high school project presentation. LOL I was pissed.

And that was Fair Use, too. And on top of it all, the motherfuckers take a royalty on every blank CD and DVD disk sold, because it's assumed it's going to be used for piracy. :disgust:

I am in your situation and am just getting the XBOX RF Modulator for 19.99$ because it will allow me to hook up cable TV to it too and I won't have to change channels an dshit to play game/watch DVD or just watch cable.

It's not bad. Worked great for me. But now I want audio to go somewhere other than the TV, which is the kicker. :)

Ratbert90 said:
Just an off question. Is there an rca to svideo converter? Or would it not be worth it?
it wouldnt make sense... mind you you could probably find one but it wouldnt do shit, s-video splits up the colors somewhat between the different pins, composite video(rca) is just a single pin with all the colors, unless the output is svideo and input is svideo its useless because there is no quality difference

only thing it would be useful for is if you only have a svideo in, but usually you have a composite in for every svideo in

Back