Jet Ski recommendation

Ramzes

Veteran XX
Want to start saving for a Jet Ski and hopefully get one for next summer. I've only driven one 2 or 3 times and haven't really looked into what models are out there and what is a good choice. Anyone wanna help me out?

i've always preferred the Yamahas over the more-common sea-doos and kawasakis. that being said, i havent kept up with the scene over the last few years and cant really make an informed recommendation. But going by knowledge thats 5+ years old, the yamaha's rock.

Big Dick Dudley said:
i'm curious about one too, but i dunno how reasonable it is to buy a 5-6k jetski when I don't know how often i'd be using it.

I thought of that too, but so far this year i've been to the lake about 10 times and the summer isn't over yet and each time I kept wishing I had a Jet Ski. Most likely i'll go even more next year especially if I get one.

PWC's (i hate calling them Jet-Ski because its Kawasaki's name for them, its kinda like calling all cars 'Model-T' because of the first one) are always more fun in pairs. i dont think anyone should just buy a single - going out on the lake with someone else, spraying them in the face and wake jumping, all that shit is wayyy more fun with a friend. Solo PWC's get boring pretty quick.

Don't.
Just rent one every now and then.
Unless you do it all the time, the maintenance costs will be high, and you'll get stopped by the coast guard, and they WILL find something wrong and give you a ticket.
It's really nothing special. I've rented them in Naples, the Keys, and Ft. lauderdale.
Yes, it's fun to go fast, jump wakes, do 360s, but not worth the costs of actually owning one, unless you are really into it.
Rent a few times to see if you really want that committment.

NoGodForMe does have a point- because of the frequent starts and stops associated with riding a PWC, its much harder on their engine than it would be on say a motorcycle or cars engine. You'll likely have to replace the flywheel and possibly other parts almost every year. maintenence can get pretty expensive. I always rented rather than bought, but for me it was more of a 'i want to ride a different one each time' kinda thing. I always preferred the smaller, more maneuverable ones over the 2-or-3 person ones, you can have a lot more fun on something you can do all the tricks on. On the other hand, the larger ones are a lot of fun for long rides, trips to islands, etc. I'd say NoGodForMe has it right - rent a pair and let them replace parts every year :p

New ones seem to be around 10,000 for the 2 seater's. I have been looking into one as well. But used one's (which is the only one I would buy) seem to be around 5k. I saw 2 94's for 3 k for both with trailer. that is the way I would go!.

yea, but what kind of maintanence costs can you expect on 10 year old jet ski's? it'd fucking blow to be out in the middle of a lake by yourself, and having the thing die on you. You'd have to swim to the shore or something.

Big Dick Dudley said:
yea, but what kind of maintanence costs can you expect on 10 year old jet ski's? it'd fucking blow to be out in the middle of a lake by yourself, and having the thing die on you. You'd have to swim to the shore or something.

heh been there, done that- when you're dragging a jetski behind you, that swim back to shore is really really long :p

i submarined my buddys old Yamaha too many times in the middle of the lake and flooded the engine. boy that thing was heavy as fuck filled with water.

:rofl:

I don't know too much about them, but on the lake here people basically only ride Sea-Doo's. Not sure what the reason is, but thats what 90% of them I see are. I've ridden a couple..they were 3 seaters and I had a lot of fun, but its only fun when you're driving. Just riding on it is pretty pointless and boring, so I'd say just get a single person one.

ugh the 3 seaters handle like a boat, the only thing i ever found them good for was trips/pulling skiiers. some of the 2 person ones are ok but even on those the handling is pretty tame. I always like the old yamaha WaveJammers because it was a little one-person with a flat hull, so you could pull spins on a dime. I dont know if they still make any models with the flat hulls anymore (because they were unstable as hell- but fun) but i'd go with a nimble PWC over a larger one any day. Horsepower was never an issue for me, because i always stuck with the lighter models anyways.

i think everyone buys sea-doos because they're very stable and easy to ride. they arent neccessarily the most fun, but they're well rounded and are good for wake jumping or just cruising. The old stand-up style Kawasaki's are crazy fun once you get the hang of them, but are pretty much useless for cruising or going anywhere.

If you're really set on buying one, i'd rent different models all summer until you find the one you like- then save up $ over the winter and pickup a lightly used one. Once you start riding a lot, you'll figure out what your preferences and priorities are, and you'll quickly find out which one suits you best.

Back