[xbox] Dirty Disc Error

fedex

Contributor
Veteran XX
I got this xbox the day it came out and I have to say I've been VERY happy with the performance I've gotten up until the last two months.

I've looked around the internet and all the sides suggest me opening up my xbox. Do the dvd lens cleaners work?

I know two or three people who also say this has happened to them. what did you guys do to fix this?

There's tons of threads about this. I'd recommend calling up Xbox and telling them you have one of the first gen xbox's and would like to get it fixed. They'll quote you something like $90 for repairs, then you politely refuse and then go file a complaint at the BBB. In about a month Xbox will call back and will offer to fix it for free. :shrug: or you could mod your Xbox, I didn't want to risk screwing mine up so I just got it fixed for free.

When cleaning your discs, wipe them from the center to the outside rather than in a circular fashion. It's harder to read a disc with a scratch going in the same direction as the data.

Whenever that happens, I just put my disc in boiling water, for about, I dunno 10 seconds or so. It seems to melt off the dirty stuff or something, and it won't damage your disc, so its worth a try. It's what I do when that happens with my Xbox magazine discs anyway.

I too, am very happy with my XBox. But I do get weird errors sometimes too. Like I have like 1-2 DVDs that WONT play on my XBox but they play fine on my regular DVD player. It's odd, but I still love it.

StreakinMe said:
There's tons of threads about this. I'd recommend calling up Xbox and telling them you have one of the first gen xbox's and would like to get it fixed. They'll quote you something like $90 for repairs, then you politely refuse and then go file a complaint at the BBB. In about a month Xbox will call back and will offer to fix it for free. :shrug: or you could mod your Xbox, I didn't want to risk screwing mine up so I just got it fixed for free.

why exactly would you report them to the BBB for offering to repair your xbox?

Realjones said:
why exactly would you report them to the BBB for offering to repair your xbox?
Because lots of 1st gen Xboxes shipped with defective drives, MS discovered this problem later and went wiht a new manufacturer but still charge you to replace the defective drive.

Yogi said:
Because lots of 1st gen Xboxes shipped with defective drives, MS discovered this problem later and went wiht a new manufacturer but still charge you to replace the defective drive.

Ok, but if the drive has been functioning correctly for three years I fail to see how that is "defective." DVD drives do wear out. Regardless, i do agree that M$ should replace it for free.

STOP

DONT DO ANYTHING

I got the same problem now. Dirty disc every 5 minutes. I called support, was real nice to them and explained the problem and how i know those thompson drives are faulty and all that.

They are gonna send me a box to ship it back to them, swap out the dvd AND the hard drive, and are going to give me a year warranty. For Free.

Call them up and dont open the thing up or they wont support it.

untouchable said:
that takes too fucking long.

yeah, the box will be here monday (i called friday night at 11pm)

and they guarantee it back in 7-10 working days, thats such a long time.

i could always go buy another one for 120-150 bucks or open it up and blow any chance i have at getting it fixed for free.

Buy a new xbox and return that one in the box and get your money back. 10 to 1 you've got a thompson drive, and nothing you can do will fix it.

i have a thompson drive and i've had an xbox for a long ass time.

Rarely gotten dirty disc errors.

On rallisport challenge 2 i got them constantly, but i kept playing the game and it kinda dissappeared. Suddenly i get no DDE's anymore.

Back