[WALMART] tw recommend a one-room air conditioner

mr_luc

Veteran X
I want to buy a one-room air conditioner, because the room I spend the most time in (22'x14' or so, lowish ceilings at about 7 or 7.5 feet) is starting to make me sweaty (I'm in Minnesota) and fans don't cut it even with an Aeron chair. I work, sleep and eat in here (home office + bedroom + game room), so I need to keep it crisp.

All we have in this town is a WALMART super-center.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...edirect_dept=0&redirect_query=air+conditioner

Do you think I will need to get a bigass window unit, or are there little standalone dealies that would be a better buy in this situation?

The room is sunk about halfway into the ground or less, 2 normal-sized windows.

This one is 5200 BTU
WAL-MART said:
0002492701345_500X500.jpg

Fedders Manual Room Air Conditioner, 5,200 BTU
$79.00

This quiet 5,200 BTU air conditioner is ideal for bedrooms, offices and smaller rooms. It's designed to efficiently cool up to 150 square feet or a 10' x 15' room.

yeah

evidently you will need a bigger one to get the cooling you want

i'd go with 7 or 8000 BTU's actually, considering it's a 22x14 foot room, that's quite a big room and 5000 BTU's would not be able to keep it cool, and it would probably blow.

i work at a local hardware store, i sell air conditioners every day.

ask any questions you want

what temperature does the room get up to?

prly want 10,000 btu's, pretty high power useage though.

mr_luc said:
(home office + bedroom + game room), so I need to keep it crisp.

Whatever you pick take carefull consideration into your powering scheme. Because I didn't for a while and it was a complete nightmare. I to am in a similar situation.

oh and by the way, don't "go cheap" and get one made for a smaller room, because they CAN break.

if it can never get to its "prime" temperature (standard 70 degrees on most) then the sensor will keep the AC on, and could possibly blow it.

Aha! rootb33r that's great.

One window, there's a bunch of decorative plants in front of, because the dirt comes up that high on that side of the house. Normally I keep that one closed because I don't like the smell, and have mild hay fever . . .

Do these things pull in air from the outside at all? If they kick the air out, or if they pull air in but there won't be shit in it and the plants won't gunk it up, I'd like to use that window, since I like to look out the other one. :-(

:shrug: ?

poh(home office + bedroom + game room)
shit... i assumed it was a bedroom.

in this case, go with a 10,000+ BTU unit.
you can pay extra for a unit that requires less energy, but honestly it's just a marketing scheme as it will only save you a few bucks a year.
(we sell 2 kinds of air conditioners that are both 10,000 BTU (window units) and one is 9.8 EER and one is 10.8 EER... we don't sell ANY 9.8's because they're almost $40 more and they only save you a couple bucks a year).

Last edited:
kjdraco said:
Whatever you pick take carefull consideration into your powering scheme. Because I didn't for a while and it was a complete nightmare. I to am in a similar situation.

Hmmmmm that's an interesting point. I can put it on its' own fuse though (don't know the technical term, heh, but I have a fuse box that only output to two sets of outlets and it's not being used), so I could always run an industrial extension cord to it . . . seems kind of Dukes of Hazzard tho.

I should mention also that this is not a terribly 'tight' room. One side is all that thin shitty panelling with little to no insulation. However, there's a closet full of clothes and 2 large sets of closet doors between that kind of porous wall and the interior of the room -- you think that is going to leak air too bad? The only openings are along the top of the inside of the closet, about 12" high all the way along the long wall for about 10 feet or so . . .

kjdraco is right on...
in my room i have a 6000 BTU air conditioner and i plugged it into an outlet in my room and blew the entire upstairs circuit.

i have to run an extension cord downstairs to get on a different circuit.

old house.

rootb33r said:
kjdraco is right on...
in my room i have a 6000 BTU air conditioner and i plugged it into an outlet in my room and blew the entire upstairs circuit.

old house.
So this stuff -- if I put the thing through a window that goes about a foot off the ground, and there are plants and crap, will the air that comes in be stunk up too? Do these things tend to filter or just chill the air?

Either way it's looking like 10k BTU :eek: :eek: :eek: wow.

oh and in regards to your question:

basically AC's remove heat from the air inside the room...

therefore, the heat needs to exit from the air conditioner, and it also needs proper 'drainage' for the condensed fluid.

*just realized this wasn't very clear...

you shouldn't experience a smell, but maybe if you leave it off for a while the smell could possibly get inside through the AC :shrug:

Last edited:
rootb33r said:
kjdraco is right on...

old house.
fucking cheap electricians. :fu:

rootb33r said:
oh and in regards to your question:

basically AC's remove heat from the air...

therefore, the heat needs to exit from the air conditioner, and it also needs proper 'drainage' for the condensed fluid.

So in a window unit, that all just goes out the back, right?
Edit: aha, ok, so it's all one-way. It doesn't bring air in from the outside -- it CIRCULATES, heat is radiated out the back and that probably uses a bit of moving air to do efficiently (like a cpu), and water drips out the back, but the air is mostly circulated around inside the room. ?

Quick question: if it rains outside, and the roof is like 25 feet above this AC so the lip of the roof won't protect it at all, does rain usually hurt them?

This air conditioner stuff is pretty complicated for an idiot savant coder like me . . . I just about freaked when I had to sell a car . . .

Last edited:
haha it's cool. i get these questions all the time.... i get a lot stupider ones too.

yes, hot air from the condensing and vaporizing process or whatever the hell happens in there goes out the back.

no the rain won't hurt it at all, they're made and tested to withstand weather including snow (people who permanently install them in their windows and don't take them out for winter).

Back