i can never tell when i'm supposed to wear a tie

Tribalbob

Contributor
Veteran XV
i mean, there are some times when it's obvious you are, like weddings, funerals, certain kinds of jobs...

and there are times when you're not, like when you're playing volleyball or building a snowman.

but there's some events where i cant tell. job interview for a supermarket? tie or no? probably yes, but i'll look like a fool if not...

there's a Tie Line somewhere, a line past which a tie is required, and before which, wearing a tie makes you look stupid. there are some events where you can go either way depending on if you can carry off the "casual tie" look, which i cant.

girls are lucky, if they're told to dress nice, they just have to dress nice. with guys, i'm never sure whether that means tie slacks and dress shoes, or what.

damnit.

overdress rather than under...
so yes on tie to supermarket...

thing im wondering about is suit to temp agency????

depends what you're interviewing for at the supermarket

bag boy, no
manager, yes

i need some polo type shirts. that's part of my problem, i have tshirts and dress clothes, but nothing in between.

Tribalbob said:
i need some polo type shirts. that's part of my problem, i have tshirts and dress clothes, but nothing in between.
Then wear a button down shirt, roll up the sleeves, and go tie-less

bam, in between

stock boy for supermarket = no tie
collared shirt is good

a tie won't HURT but that's definitely overdoing it....unless you have aspirations of becoming a manager and having that be your career (in which case I feel sorry for you)

interview for any office job = tie
interview for a job at the mall = no

unless you're interviewing to be a clown at a circus, you should wear a tie to any interview

Pagy said:
unless you're interviewing to be a clown at a circus, you should wear a tie to any interview

ummm..no
it's uneccessary and can make you look stupid....like you're taking the interview WAY too seriously

Special---K said:
ummm..no
it's uneccessary and can make you look stupid....like you're taking the interview WAY too seriously
uh you're supposed to take your job seriously

how does wearing a tie make you look stupid... only kids would feel stupid.
do you honestly think a manager sits down after the interview and says "holy shit that punk was way too dressed, i don't want his kind working for me"

Rule of thumb is always dress for the interview as if you were the manager. If the office attire is casual (as in people wearing jeans and t-shirts) wear slacks and a button up. If the office attire is business-casual, wear a suit.

Pagy said:

do you honestly think a manager sits down after the interview and says "holy shit that punk was way too dressed, i don't want his kind working for me"

no but they may think you are uptight...or have never had a job before

again...your personality is most important thing to bring with you to an interview

Pagy said:

over zealousness at the workplace can cause employee problems, which in turn can negatively affect the store.

For like a minimum wage job, wear the nicer shoes, slacks, and a button up shirt but the tie is definately optional. If you can pull off the "casual tie" look then go with it. If not, or if you're not comfortable in a tie, than don't wear it.

For the temp agency, maybe wear the suit, but I wouldn't bring the jacket.

Special---K said:
no but they may think you are uptight...or have never had a job before

again...your personality is most important thing to bring with you to an interview
right, and if you are uptight or unqualified, it shows through much more than the clothes you are wearing

imo, there are two interviews
1) Those the call for a suit
2) Those that call for a shirt and tie

No, the clothes dont land you the job; you do. But as it has already been mentioned, better to be overdressed than under. Say what you will about the signals for being overdressed, they are nothing you can't undo with your personality. You really can't say that about being underdressed

I'm going to a school of govt for a few days later this month (basically just a debate camp), anyway I got some information the other day including what to bring etc. I kept reading and found the dress is 'collared shirt with slacks'.

I was fucking shocked when I read this. I have never debated in anything less than a suit..I refuse to look like some fucking bum during this exercise. I fully intend to bring my suits and pimp it out.

enDless_Delirium said:
over zealousness at the workplace can cause employee problems, which in turn can negatively affect the store.
i see a difference between dressing up for the interview and overdressing while working.

-]P[-Veor said:
I'm going to a school of govt for a few days later this month (basically just a debate camp), anyway I got some information the other day including what to bring etc. I kept reading and found the dress is 'collared shirt with slacks'.

I was fucking shocked when I read this. I have never debated in anything less than a suit..I refuse to look like some fucking bum during this exercise. I fully intend to bring my suits and pimp it out.
Wtf

Why do you need to dress up to argue with people?

It's just something you grow accustomed to. I don't know how to describe it, it just wouldn't feel normal..

Back