Virus/Computer Problem

CMVDA

Veteran X
Yeah so, my computer has been freezing up after about 10 minutes of use for about three days.

After using Panda Scan initially, it discovered 7 infected files, and disinfected four. Didn't get the log file of that one, cuz it froze.

The second time it found 4 more infected files, disinfected two. Here's the log file:

Incident Status Location

Virus:Trj/Downloader.GK No disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Christian Mitchell\Local Settings\Temp\polmx2.cab[polmx2.exe]
Virus:Trj/Downloader.GK No disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Christian Mitchell\Local Settings\Temp\polmx3.cab[polmx3.exe]
Virus:Trj/Downloader.HC Disinfected C:\Program Files\shimtypesurf\27726.exe
Virus:Trj/Downloader.GK Disinfected C:\WINDOWS\polmx3.exe
So, what do I do with the other two files, neither of which I can seem to find? And will it fix my freezing problem?

I'd say yeah, boot into safe mode and try to ge rid of em, but I'd probably reformat :\

also, make sure your defs update every day
not sure about panda, how quickly do they react to new viruses.
f-prot is probably my favorite lightweight scanner, but avg has done well too.
also to I'd say run adaware and spybot search and destroy as well.
altho, they are generally after the fact fixes.

CMVDA said:
I've never reformatted before - doesn't that clean out your entire HD?

yes...that is why you should BACK UP IMPORTANT SHIT so when this kind of thing happens, you can wipe out windows and not lose anything but a little time

this is the reality of computers today...if you haven't backed up stuff...you just learned the hard way and you probably won't make that mistake again

Ugh...I can't...get this computer...unfrozen. Cuz it keeps freezing as the virus scans are going :(

it probably wont be able to remove since it's resident in memory, that's why i'd suggest safe mode, or creating a bootable av floppy if panda allows

First off, a trojan isn't a virus. It is maleware. If I were you I would download the following tools and run them. Spybot search and destroy. Ad-Aware. And last but not least, crap cleaner.

Minstrel said:
First off, a trojan isn't a virus. It is maleware. If I were you I would download the following tools and run them. Spybot search and destroy. Ad-Aware. And last but not least, crap cleaner.

he says the machine is freezing up every 10 seconds or wahtever

that's not enough time to run any of those tools

format is worth it in this case...then make sure you have the tools on there for next time you get nailed

First off, a trojan is a trojan. Any program disguised as something else to try to get you to run it.

Malware is a program designed to fuck with you or your system (serve you ads, spam you/others, etc) without your permission or control. It usually infects your system via some 'sploit but can also be a trojan.

There are currently malware that infest your system by installing themselves as low-level drivers. They will load even in Safe Mode and self-monitor what's going on. If you run a virus scan, the scanner never even sees the nasty files, so it doesn't detect them. If you display the directory the nasty files are in, those files mysteriously do not show up in the list. They do not show up in task lists nor as running processes. If you try find their registry keys... they aren't there (yet they are!) :huh:

It even has a list of AV and Spybot software that it will kill. For example, I tried installing Spybot S&D 1.3 on an infected machine and it looked like it installed fine. Except a couple of select files, such as the Spybot.exe and another related DLL, never made it onto the hard drive. So I zipped up the installation from another machine and copied it over. I could unzip all the files, except for those two. The bastard was intercepting the writes to disk. If I renamed the Spybot exe to, say, blah.exe and copied it over the malware didn't notice. But if I renamed it back... gone.

It took me two hours to kill that sucker and the only reason I knew it was there was because that machine was used in a DDoS and I happen to keep a close eye on bandwidth utilization.

It's getting really fucking nasty out there, folks. But I've heard word that there is a major FBI + International orgs investigation going on and expect to see some serious shit hit the fan towards the end of the year.

Back