Poll: Youngest age someone should get married?

Haivng this discussion with a friend right now, so thought I'd see what everyone else thinks.

What is youngest, on average, someone should get married at? (if they are with someone they love, etc.).

I tend to believe that people, at least non-simpletons, are still evolving so quickly in their beliefs, desires, needs, etc. in the young adult phase that 23-24 should really be the baseline minimum.

More or less fact that 99% of high school relationships are doomed. The question is how much longer afterward needs to go by before people really know themselves enough to responsibly get hitched? By that I mean get into a relationship that will really last - not just say 'this feels good right now, why not?' (one of many causes of ridiculous divorce rate)

What does everyone else think, and why?

I don't really know, it's definitely different for different people. My mom got married at 19 as a sophmore in college. I know i definitely will not be married that young, but hey, my parents have been together for 25 years so not all early relationships are doomed.

Not until at least 25 for me. I almost made the mistake, but I didn't go that crazy (fortunately).

26-27. Before that time people are still growing and learning what they want out of life. Bad time to get married before that imho. Just leads to divorce when people grow and realize that the person\life they have now isn't what they want out of life.

I will say this, the closer you are to 18 when you get married, I would assume that there would be more chance for infidelity.

But thats just my opinion :). It would all depend on your significant other as well I would think.

Specifically I meant how old to get married this day and age. I think society has gotten a bit more complicated than when our parents were dating. The range of peoples movement, options, communications, and such has altered considerably.

That society has changed is pretty obvious - just look at how divorce rate has moved over time.

Actually can anyone find any charts showing divorce rate as function of history (ie '60s vs '80s and such) and also divroce vs age ppl got married?

My mom got married when she was 19, my dad is like 6 years older.

They've been together almost 19 years.

24minimum. I know it seems like a larger number, but thats enough to be out of college and on your way for a good career.

I don't believe in the life-long marriage contract...

As soon as you can legally work (without your parents permission) and find a place where you can live independently you should be able to go into a contractual relationship.

I think that you should just sign a one year contract and stipulate on that whose property is whose and then keep all sales receipts through that year.

At the end of that year if you decide that you want to renew the contract you can if the other person agrees.

For those people who have a contract they get the work related benefits like health care, insurance and whatnot after the first renewal.

For every year that the contract is renewed after the tenth you get extra benefits from work and state for keeping the 'family unit' together.

I have a lot of other points I would include in this but that would make this post longer than it should be....

:roller:

it really depends, my uncle was married at 18, had kids around 19, he now has 3 kids, and has been very happily married for about 31 years

but not everyone is like that, in most cases your first serious(or for most, their high school) relationship is doomed, but around 24 seems a decent age to me

Back