So I grind my teeth while I sleep...

blackie420rx

he with no title++
Veteran XV
I just started doing it this past couple of weeks, but it's gotten to be a problem. I think I chipped one of my teeth last night.
So, today I went out to get a mouth guard. I went to a local sports store, and explained the problem, and the guy told me that if I chipped a tooth doing it last night (90% sure I did), then I'd probably break a football mouth guard in a few days, and that they make special ones just for that.

So, I go to wal-mart, and find them. I look for like 10 minutes in the section for a large guard, then ask the lady in the pharmacy about them. She says it's hard for them to keep the larges in stock, because people steal them. :shrug:

So, I go to Target and K-mart, and they neither one carry them. So, off to Walgreens. I find one, and buy it. It cost me $25.00, but I figured that it was worth it. I get it home, open it, and the box has a container in it to keep the guard in. I open the container, and it's got a little dipping thing, but no guard. (kinda got pissed about this). So, I took it back, got my money back, and went to Schnucks. They didn't have them, and told me to try a local pharmacy.
So, I go to the local pharmacy, and it's closed. I decide to try my luck at a local grocery store, and I find them. They only have small and medium guards. :(
So, I tried another store in the same chain, and they don't carry them.

So now I have a dilemma. I need a guard. There is no arguing that I don't. But I can't get one until tomorrow (when local pharmacies are open).
Does anyone have any suggestions on something that will keep me from grinding my teeth while sleeping?

Any help would rock. I know this is a little bit of a weird question, but I figured TW is the best place to ask weird questions. :shrug:

Blackie

seriously, the problem is stress

destress your life!!

as far as mouth guards go, you should have gotten the football one for temp and then see your dentist.

Sizeless said:
how do you know you grind your teeth while you sleep?

Waking up with a general pain on both sides of my mouth, and my teeth hurting. I didn't think much of it until Saturday night, when my girl friend (friend) woke me up because I was doing it, and she could hear it.

And I know the pain isn't cavitied or anything, because I went to the dentist last week.

my teeth never hurt in the mornings, i dont think i grinded that hard.
there was just noticable wear in the back... my molars were pretty flat..

you must be a pretty bad grinder. get something now and save $$$$$ later

I had the same problem and they wanted me to buy these 50.00$ or whatever mouth guards. I didn't understand why a football/hockey tooth guard was not good enough.

It was! Put the friggen thing in some hot water and use you teeth to mold it to your gums. (If it's rubber, just chomp away)

I've had guards that have lasted for months and I see no reason to spend top dollar to get the expensive ones from the dentist. I use to chew em like taffy during a game/match and they last forever. If they wear out, just get more, they are cheap enough.

Hope this helps. :)

Uso said:
I had the same problem and they wanted me to buy these 50.00$ or whatever mouth guards. I didn't understand why a football/hockey tooth guard was not good enough.

It was! Put the friggen thing in some hot water and use you teeth to mold it to your gums. (If it's rubber, just chomp away)

I've had guards that have lasted for months and I see no reason to spend top dollar to get the expensive ones from the dentist. I use to chew em like taffy during a game/match and they last forever. If they wear out, just get more, they are cheap enough.

Hope this helps. :)

The one I got was $25.00. The guy at the sporting goods store explained that those guards aren't good for grinders, because your mouth is shaped differently in the front than in the back, so when you heat them and adapt them to your mouth, the back gets thinner than it should be, and that allows you to grind through the back without noticing much, which he claims wears the back teeth more, while protecting the fronts.
Not sure I bought the reasoning, but if the guy was going to turn down a sale, I figure he was probably looking out for my best interest. :shrug:

Back