New Final Fantasy Advent Interview

Searagemor

Veteran XV
Source: Adventchildren.net

Advent Children:

This might just be a new genre.

GanGan: To get right to the point, at this year’s E3 the latest trailer was shown. Concerning the visuals, what aspects did you want to stand out?

Mr. Nomura: The original characters have evolved so we’re aiming for the textures and atmosphere to feel real, but with the modelling we’re not looking for realism. As for the rest, we’ll go with what looks cool. The same goes for things like direction, and the battle scenes too, but by contrast we didn’t make it too realistic. I’m having the development team do things that are really exaggerated like the technique employed in anime and manga and such, where within a realistic atmosphere you have things that are done non-realistically, like the modelling of the characters in AC.

GanGan: Looking at the visuals, it’s turning out to be a production with a mysterious atmosphere, with there being what seems to be a fusion between non-realistic and realistic styles.

Mr. Nomura: A fusion you say…well, I guess it might be. With there being a very fine balance that is, in any case, hard to put into words. If it became either more realistic or non-realistic, the present balance would probably be lost. It’s something that’s different also from your usual animation, I guess you could call it a new genre.

The gloomy lot gets into action all right!

GanGan: Continuing about the characters, the appearance of people from the original game making a continuing appearance here, has rather changed, hasn't it?

Mr. Nomura: Yes, the original FFVII was made in 1997 and 7 years have passed since then, and within the world of the characters themselves too, 2 years have passed so… As for the clothes, if they were the same as 2 years ago, I’d be like people saying ‘Is that one outfit all you own?’ (laughs) As for Vincent, his outfit hasn’t changed, it’s probably like he doesn’t have anything else (laughs). About Vincent, with a body that doesn’t age and is immortal, he’s a bit different from humans so I guess that’s why we took a chance in not changing his looks.

GanGan: Will the other characters that appeared in the game make an appearance as well?

Mr. Nomura: The other characters… well, I’ll get in trouble if I say ‘that’s all’? You’ll just ask me why, right? (laughs) FFVII’s characters were really popular, so such things are naturally being considered.

GanGan: About FFVII, the appearances of its gloomy characters have really gained popularity- Vincent among others for instance.

Mr. Nomura: Yes, this time those people get plenty of instances to show off. (laughs) Well, it’s not that the party from the game will just get together once more and the story then develops from there… FFVII comprised an epic story totalling tens of hours, but when you compare the current FFVII: AC to it, the latter comes in really short. If all the previous members were to once again get together in the same place, that would be overkill so…

GanGan: I see. So, about the 3 characters, Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo, who newly make their appearance in this production, these 3 have similar characteristics like silver hair and such, right?

Mr. Nomura: I guess you could say they’re siblings… Concerning their looks, if you’re thinking that, since the colour of their hair as well as the colour of their eyes is the same as Sephiroth’s, there might in some way be a connection… there is. (laughs) I can’t yet tell you what they’re after, but the keywords that appeared in the last trailer ‘Jenova’, ‘Reunion’, ‘Geostigma’ and such are connected to them. This time the story will start to develop with them at the centre. With them showing up, the peace that has lasted for 2 years will begin to deteriorate.

GanGan: About the much talked about story, firstly, what is the meaning of the subtitle, ‘Advent Children’?

Mr. Nomura: The theme will be about ‘Advent’, which means ‘second coming’, and ‘Children’, which literally means 'children'. Who is this ‘children’ referring to? In general it also encompasses Marlene and her friends. Children will be the key point of the story, and this time Cloud will have to come to their rescue. The game, it being about saving the Planet, had an epic story, but this time it’s about saving the children… What appeared in the last part of the most recent trailer, ‘Why is Cloud fighting once again?’, ‘Is it for the children? For a memory? Or, for himself?’, is something worth noticing.

GanGan: How will the story be connected with FFVII’s?

Mr. Nomura: It’s not a story that will reveal the mysteries present in the game, but the thing is, that although we concluded FFVII back then, I think that there probably are among the players, those for whom there are still unclear things remaining about the character of Cloud who’s role they assumed. Why is Cloud, who is now living by himself in solitude, in fact alone? Aside from this, there must surely be parts that trouble the minds of people who played FFVII… Pertaining to that, I think that in more ways than one, Cloud will settle things this time.

i wish it was actually a fucking GAME

then i would buy it. I've always wanted an FFVII sequal

but a movie? ugh...

Back