What I'd like to see in games..

Fooz

Veteran X
I've ben playing a lot of single player FPS's recently, and I've been thinking about the general "gameplay experience", and what really causes it. Now while stories and interactivity are a big tep forward, I think a big part of gaming has been overlooked: the Psychological.

Now I was pleaseantly surprised to find a neat feature in FarCry, an option to change the rendering mode. Regular, paradise, cold, and cartoon (cell shaded). Each mode provided slightly different experience, though seemed gimmicky and not very effective in mood change.

What I want to see when I install a game is an option to shitch the game into different psychological modes, Ex. Unsettleing, nervous, dramatic, realistic, etc. Changes could include different voice-sets, different graphic values, different pain and death sequences (Unpleasent effects when shot, killed, incentive for health) different music, sounds, etc.

On the market its hard to advance, but I think paying attention to these things is how you make great games, and how to be known as a great company.

One game I see doing this is Half Life two, where a dramatic, unnerving mood is set up, and the complicated sound work in doom 3.

Fooz said:
What I want to see when I install a game is an option to shitch the game into different psychological modes, Ex. Unsettleing, nervous, dramatic, realistic, etc. Changes could include different voice-sets, different graphic values, different pain and death sequences (Unpleasent effects when shot, killed, incentive for health) different music, sounds, etc.
so you want games to be released on sets of 5 DVDs?

i didnt bother reading you post.. but i'd like to see just one thing in games, something which in theory is supposed to go hand-in-hand with them, yet has been elusive as of late:

fun

Back