another MMO economics study

HaPpY

Veteran XX
some of this is ofn like how EQ has a greater gnp than india but has other interesting insights...

http://www.walrusmagazine.com/04/05/06/1929205.shtml

in EQ: "Castronova found that the average player was generating 319 platinum pieces each hour he or she was in the game — the equivalent of $3.42 (U.S.) per hour. "That's higher than the minimum wage in most countries," he marvelled."

I wonder how WoW will fair with its diablo style items system :p

I've got a guy that came in yesterday who's an eq player, offered to buy the place for the day, and do this every monday, so he could use all 30 machines to generate stuff

JuggerNaught said:
I've got a guy that came in yesterday who's an eq player, offered to buy the place for the day, and do this every monday, so he could use all 30 machines to generate stuff

Damn...

JuggerNaught said:

those are the kinds of people that die at their keyboards.

JuggerNaught said:

nice... good deal if it doesn't piss off the other monday customers

JuggerNaught said:
:rofl:

Run a whole guild off your own lan? How could you even do that?

i told him sure..if he wants, cost him 300 bucks for the whole day for me to open up on my day off and he can have the place from noon to midnight, 12 hours. He came in yesterday and did a whole table just for himself. I didnt have eq on so he brought his super duper eq pack in and now i have a whole table full of eq machines :).

Aestis said:
:rofl:

Run a whole guild off your own lan? How could you even do that?
well i suppose its possible, the eq program is just a client on the users end. as long as you have 30 accounts you could log into all 30 machines

JuggerNaught said:
well i suppose its possible, the eq program is just a client on the users end. as long as you have 30 accounts you could log into all 30 machines
That wasn't what I meant, I meant how could you effectively control 30 characters? I've heard of people doing like 5, but that was at a setup w/ all the keyboards and monitors together. I don't know how you'd do 20+ with a lan setup

Aestis said:
That wasn't what I meant, I meant how could you effectively control 30 characters? I've heard of people doing like 5, but that was at a setup w/ all the keyboards and monitors together. I don't know how you'd do 20+ with a lan setup

thats what i asked him. we threw ideas at each other and came up with using a 4 port kvm switch per each table. each table has 4 machines

JuggerNaught said:
thats what i asked him. we threw ideas at each other and came up with using a 4 port kvm switch per each table. each table has 4 machines
That would still be pretty difficult to manage. Especially for 12 hours, you could probably sell that guy a shitload of bawls if he is going to attempt something that insane

UO has a script program that can do practically anything.

I'm sure with the amount of obsession in EQ they have something like that

Back