Punishment for stealing wood in Iraq?

Yoda

Contributor
Veteran XV
Found this video, anyone else find this absurd? Okay, granted the cameraman is a bit biased and is trying to make the US army look bad, but come on, shooting a car and then running it over with a tank because some guys stole some wood is a bit much. Yes, I realize that in Saddam's Iraq it would have been much worse and I am glad we got rid of him, but I am surprised that US soldiers resort to this and still have smiles on their face, its like they (at least this group) are deriving so much joy from destroying the livelyhood of the Iraqis.

http://members.aol.com/skitana205/looting.wmv

can anyone mirror it? Not sure how long this will last...

are deriving so much joy from destroying the livelyhood of the Iraqis.

Why is his supposed taxi not in iraq taxi colors? (orange/white)

And why do we not care that stealing wood was probably fucking up someone else's buisness?

triple said:
Why is his supposed taxi not in iraq taxi colors? (orange/white)

And why do we not care that stealing wood was probably fucking up someone else's buisness?

Okay, if you steal wood in the US, do the police on the spot shoot your car and then completely destroy it?

Look, fine, they were stealing, they should be punished for it (although some I'm sure would disagree, I don't.) But running over the car because they could is a bit excessive. I think that confiscating the wood is a more normal response, maybe even jailing them. But with everything going on in Iraq, you would think that the soldiers have better things to do.

That is a pretty old video, however, I found it appalling that some of our soldiers would enjoy themselves in such a degradating way at the expense of some poor iraqis, whether they are guilty or not.

I understand that Martial law dictates such severe and quick justice, but it would serve them better if they were more respectful in carrying it out.

ofn and they didnt lose their car for stealing wood they lost it for looting, in a place like that you can't write the guy a ticket or make himsit in a jail for that

TonyElTigre said:
ofn and they didnt lose their car for stealing wood they lost it for looting, in a place like that you can't write the guy a ticket or make himsit in a jail for that

so you destroy his car???

Yoda said:
Okay, if you steal wood in the US, do the police on the spot shoot your car and then completely destroy it?

Look, fine, they were stealing, they should be punished for it (although some I'm sure would disagree, I don't.) But running over the car because they could is a bit excessive. I think that confiscating the wood is a more normal response, maybe even jailing them. But with everything going on in Iraq, you would think that the soldiers have better things to do.

fyi, this is a war

the guy should be glad he got out with his life intact

in any other war they would have shot you and kept the wood

triple said:
fyi, this is a war

the guy should be glad he got out with his life intact

in any other war they would have shot you and kept the wood

Thought Bush said that the war was over and that we are in a reconstruction mode right now....

Also, so we should compare ourselves to how other arab countries treat their conquered people, thats great...

Yoda, holy fuck dude...

This video is over a year old. It's from the very BEGINNING of the war.

Relax. This topic has been discussed to death already. Try Search.

Data said:
Yoda, holy fuck dude...

This video is over a year old. It's from the very BEGINNING of the war.

Relax. This topic has been discussed to death already. Try Search.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry, didn't know search was working again. I haven't been around much :( I'm sowwwy :(

triple said:
im not comparing us to just arabs

im comparing us to everyone, including the US in the past

So we know better, but we won't do the "right thing" because everything else in the past is far worse...

Back