Penn&Teller take on the bible

pretty much it. talking about some historical facts, and revisionist history, and the fact that we only put to use the bibles rules that we in america feel are relevant.

Examples:
Stone disobediant daughters
Do not go near women on their periods.

stuff like that

I am no longer surprised when a celebrity takes a stab at the Bible. Once they start "showing their knowledge" of Christianity by using the Old Testament as some sort of modern-day code I just move on to some other subject with actual substance.

wow we are more alike than you think fngrbing

i do the same thing every time some fag hater uses the bible to support their bigotry

FngrBANG said:
I am no longer surprised when a celebrity takes a stab at the Bible. Once they start "showing their knowledge" of Christianity by using the Old Testament as some sort of modern-day code I just move on to some other subject with actual substance.

then provide a specific rebuttal rather than just ignore and dismiss what is said. to ignore is to be ignorant :p

They were taking stabs at passages which people say must be true. Although I do wish they would have seperated the Old and New into 2 shows so they could attack both equally.

Khushi said:
then provide a specific rebuttal rather than just ignore and dismiss what is said. to ignore is to be ignorant :p
I DID provide a specific example in my initial post...

It's called The Old Testament. Learn something about Christainity sometime & then go tell Penn & Teller that they're ridiculing a part of the Bible that is considered a historical lesson-plan...not a strict code. You talk as if I ignore and dismiss the layperson's interpretation of biblical understanding--no, I take it very seriously...because I realize just who is being ignorant and dismissive--maybe if you actually read the Bible and went to worship in His house for awhile...

Or would you rather dismiss the offer & remain ignorant?

Senty said:
They were taking stabs at passages which people say must be true. Although I do wish they would have seperated the Old and New into 2 shows so they could attack both equally.

i doubt it'd matter

FngrBANG said:

It's called The Old Testament. Learn something about Christainity sometime & then go tell Penn & Teller that they're ridiculing a part of the Bible that is considered a historical lesson-plan...not a strict code. You talk as if I ignore and dismiss the layperson's interpretation of biblical understanding--no, I take it very seriously...because I realize just who is being ignorant and dismissive--maybe if you actually read the Bible and went to worship in His house for awhile...

thats not specific, thats the whole book... whats a specific point they made about the old testatment thats so different in the new testament?

Khushi said:
thats not specific, thats the whole book...
The "whole" book?

Pray tell, how many books are in the Old Testament? How many are in the King James Bible?

Go learn something...

FngrBANG said:

I take it that you didn't see the show. Bullshit just doesen't adress one part of an issue, they take many parts. Yes, many people view the story of Noah's as a tale not to be taken literally, but many more people still believe that Noah built an ark when the world was completely flooded and drifted for 40 days and nights.

FngrBANG said:
The "whole" book?

Pray tell, how many books are in the Old Testament? How many are in the King James Bible?

Go learn something...

awaiting specifics... or did you even watch the show?

Khushi said:
awaiting specifics... or did you even watch the show?
As if watching the show somehow validates your trust in what is being said? Give me a break. P&T are rehashing the same old arguments from a secular perspective that has been around longer than they have.

I'm still waiting to see if you even know how many books are contained within the Old Testament.

for some reason, I get the feeling that you are an advanced person, more evolved, and more open-minded- if you do not argue on the internet against people, rather than against the ideas and subjects they present.

read this thread again, and see if you can see what I'm getting at.

Back