Dynamic PDF creation - who is familliar with this?

AirGibson

Veteran X
Suppose you have an existing PDF file that is basically just a scan of a document. On that document is a spot for someone's name. You'd like for the user to be able to type their name in a web form, click submit, and have that PDF be created with their name plugged in on it already for them.

Easy? Not so easy? I've never screwed with creating dynamic PDFs. Googling has gotten me some basic info on it, anyhow.

I use it all the time...php and pdflib. I've used it in several projects here at work. Quite easy to use actually.

edit: if you already have a PDF that you want to 'append', then you will have to get the PDFLib w/ PDI.

However, if the PDF you have is easy to recreate using just php and pdflib, you won't need the PDI portion of PDFLib

(the pdi portion allows you to open existing PDF files and mess with them)

http://www.pdflib.com/

I created a application for Realtors in the bay area allowing them to fill out real estate forms this way, print them, email them, etc.

I don't know about PHP implimentation, but mine had some nasty server loads. :ugh:

Most of my project was coded in India though, I had to fix A LOT of shit. If I would have known it was so easy to do in PHP I might have gone that route.

I used asp, sql, and the pdf api, with some vb and c++ thrown in also.

They were adamant it be on a Windows server, so that sucked.

Yeah, this would be a case of editing already existing PDFs. And the thing is, the content is basically just one big image of the text document. Not searchable text and such :/ I'm betting that throws a wrench in this idea unless the PDFs are re-made, correct?

AirGibson said:
Yeah, this would be a case of editing already existing PDFs. And the thing is, the content is basically just one big image of the text document. Not searchable text and such :/ I'm betting that throws a wrench in this idea unless the PDFs are re-made, correct?

No, not unless you need to search the text. Of course it will mean the documents will be larger because it will be a image, but all you have to do is create fields over the area you want to fill.

not really...you just need to find the coordinates where you are going to put the name or whatever...and then use the functions to draw the name there.

you can also do this with crystal reports. It's what we use to create all our homeowners(insurance) documentation for agents and such.

Back