t-287874 Possible Terrorist from my school found [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Possible Terrorist from my school found

Iamatree
04-16-2004, 08:57 AM
This is awesome, my school will be copping so much ****.

TONY EASTLEY: A 21-year-old medical student has become the first person to be charged under Australia's new terrorism laws, with receiving training from a terrorist organisation.

Izhar Ul-Haque faced court in Sydney late yesterday, after he was arrested by Australian Federal Police at his home.

He's been charged with receiving weapons training from the terrorist organisation, Lashkar-e-Toiba, on a visit to Pakistan early last year.

But Ul-Haque's lawyer has described the prosecution's case as politically motivated and weak.

Alison Caldwell reports.

ALISON CALDWELL: At his home in Glenwood on the western outskirts of Sydney last night, a young man believed to be the brother of Izhar Ul-Haque scribbled a short note for the assembled media.

It read, "I don't mean to be rude, but my answer to anything you may ask is, no comment".

Earlier he told AM, that he and his brother were both Australian citizens.

Yesterday morning, their world was turned upside down when Izhar Ul-Haque was arrested and charged with receiving training from a terrorist organisation.

According to police, for three weeks in January last year, Izhar Ul-Haque trained in Pakistan with the al-Qaeda linked terrorist organisation, Lashkar-e-Toiba.

If convicted he faces up to 25 years in prison.

Attorney-General Philip Ruddock.

PHILIP RUDDOCK: The Crimes Act does make it an offence to train with a terrorist organisation. There are numbers of organisations that have been proscribed. It ought to be clear to anyone that if we obtain evidence that suggests that a person may have committed such offences, charges will be brought.

ALISON CALDWELL: Few details are known about Izhar Ul-Haque.

He's a 21-year-old medical student at the University of New South Wales. According to police, he moved to Australia from Pakistan with his family in 1999. It's understood he went to Pennant Hills and North Sydney High Schools before enrolling in medicine at University.

Yesterday, the Central Local Court in Sydney was told that following his three-week training course in Pakistan, Izhar Ul-Haque decided not to go ahead with his preparations for jihad in Kashmir, after being told he would better serve his cause as a doctor, not a martyr.

The Prosecution said he made a number of admissions in interviews with Federal Police.

His lawyer, Adam Houda, says while his client is concerned about the plight of Muslim people in Kashmir, he's not a terrorist.

ADAM HOUD As it stands it's a weak prosecution case, the matter will be vigorously defended, and I'm very confident of a favourable outcome.

ALISON CALDWELL: Lashkar-e-Toiba is the same group that suspected French terrorist Willie Brigitte trained with, and likewise Australian terrorist suspects, David Hicks and Mamdouh Habib.

The Attorney-General Phillip Ruddock wouldn't be drawn on whether Izhar Ul-Haque had any links with Willie Brigitte.

But speaking at a function in Canberra last night, the Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said any possible connections would be investigated.

ALEXANDER DOWNER: He probably has some… some linkages I would imagine, that is for sure. But whether those are within Australia, that'll be something obviously the Federal Police will be investigating.

TONY EASTLEY: Alison Caldwell with that report, Alexander Downer there.

Morbid
04-16-2004, 09:06 AM
So wait did he train with them, then they made the law? Like getting charged for something you did before they even made the law?

Iamatree
04-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Really not too sure when the law was made.

Mogs
04-16-2004, 09:23 AM
shut up terrorist

P Masta Flex
04-16-2004, 09:23 AM
So wait did he train with them, then they made the law? Like getting charged for something you did before they even made the law?

ex post facto

olaf
04-16-2004, 09:25 AM
it almost sounds untrue and baseless

that so sad for that guy, seemed nice by his no comment stance

Morbid
04-16-2004, 09:25 AM
ex post facto

Yeah but its Australia so....who knows?

Iamatree
04-16-2004, 09:28 AM
The guy was always by himself studying, really smart guy and was dux of the school.

Just talking to a friend on msn:

friend: my brothers frend used to play cricket with the guy and tease him about being a terrorist cause he was a paki "oh sorry dont blow up my house" and ****.

His brother who left the message I played cricket with.

spiritualarmy
04-16-2004, 09:57 AM
damn pakis. seems they can't stay outta trouble.

consultant
04-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Yesterday, the Central Local Court in Sydney was told that following his three-week training course in Pakistan, Izhar Ul-Haque decided not to go ahead with his preparations for jihad in Kashmir, after being told he would better serve his cause as a doctor, not a martyr.

Can you really trust someone like this? So he just does the deal till he gets a call and then boom!! 4 words "I told you so"