acoustic guitar owns. (another "i recorded a song, listen and critique me!" thread)

travelyan

Contributor
Veteran XX
Last edited:
Voice: Good. It'll get you where you want to go.

If you try hard enough.

Guitar: Adequet (sic)

Let's hear your shit. :bigthumb:

nazbot said:
Your guitar is out of tune. Other than that you have a good voice...now give it to me.

well i know it was like a half step up or something or do you mean the strings werent tuned to one another?? ;)

i'm still just learning how to play guitar, im a drummer, but guitaring seems to be getting easier now that ive been playing for like almost 3 months now in my spare time

nowhere close to being as good as i wanna be with it though

i listen to my voice though and i hate the way i sound, is it really pleasant? i can sing all kinds of genres but do i sound more like a hard rock voice or what do you think i would be suited for?? not that being a vocalist is what i want to do really

nspectre said:
Voice: Good. It'll get you where you want to go.

If you try hard enough.

Guitar: Adequet (sic)

Let's hear your shit. :bigthumb:

:heart:

my shit.. i.e. songs i've written?? i've thought of about 2, but i want to do full-band accompanyments for them both, drums, bass, lead solos the whole nine, and theyll take me lots of time to compelte

i'm still covering Fly By Night and that stupid god damn Aicha song from the video w/the kid who dances and lip synchs you know the one.

(by request)

Travelyan said:
well i know it was like a half step up or something or do you mean the strings werent tuned to one another?? ;)

i'm still just learning how to play guitar, im a drummer, but guitaring seems to be getting easier now that ive been playing for like almost 3 months now in my spare time

nowhere close to being as good as i wanna be with it though

i listen to my voice though and i hate the way i sound, is it really pleasant? i can sing all kinds of genres but do i sound more like a hard rock voice or what do you think i would be suited for?? not that being a vocalist is what i want to do really
Yes, a string is out of tune...it's either the high E or B string. Sounds flat.
Your voice is very good. I can't really say what your voice is suited for, but you should def. stick to singing...not many people out there who can do it.

Out of interest, were you using any echo/reverb effects on your voice?

obviously you recorded the guitar tracks separatly. buy a tuner :)
aside from that it's pretty good. i should go record some buckley for you guys so you can all make fun of me

1. High E string is a little flat. Get the AP Tuner for guitar off the web, it's free. Google it.

2. When you record guitar, point the microphone at the area of the fretboard in between the soundhole and the edge of the body. Have the mic about 12" away from the body.

3. Use a condeser microphone, something with a larger diaphragm. They can be had for less than $50 on Ebay...I recommend the MXL units. Use them with a desktop mixer or a dedicated mic pre. You can also use the same setup for vocals. Record vocals about 8" away, with a pop filter (you can use a peice of pantyhose over a coathanger if you don't want to buy one).

4. Your voice is fine. Don't be afraid to open up. Open your mouth 20% more than what you think you need, and you'll get a 100% increase in volume. You could stand to work on clarity a little, but it's actually pretty good. Better'n me, dude.

5. Record everything and anything. Record any other covers you do.

My first cover was Fly By Night! :)

sweet, thanks oldskul, i agree there, i don't know how to record properly due to a lot of things, for one thing my mic has about a 3 foot range of motion and it's right in front of my computer whch has 9 fans so i try to put pillows between the mic and the comp, but this fucker picks up all kinds of bg noise and hum and buzzing.. the mic i'm using is a Nady SP-1, it's like $7, the lowest-end of low-end condenser

i'm not hearing the flat string, also i don't even know whch string the E is. :\ yes, i have an elementary knowledge of music... i play by ear. maybe it'd help to learn sheet music?

and fly by night was the first thing i learned how to play, but i've got the drum track recorded and now i'm just trying to get ahold of a bass guitar and i'll sit down and throw it together in a night, i think it's going to be my best song yet

During the part just before the bridge listen to the high E. You can hear that it's flat. Listen to the last cord of the song and you can hear that the guitar is pretty out of tune.

Not a bad cover, you do have a nice voice and the guitar work is okay. Just tune the damn thing!

old_skul said:
My first cover was Fly By Night! :)

Mine was Broon's Bane. :p But Fly By Night wasn't too far after that. I could never sing his stuff.

Back