goddamnit i hate having a dell

anyways

apparently my 8200 has a 250w ps

current config is 2 hard drives, 120gb and a 40gb, one cd-rw, p4 2ghz and a ti4600. My 9800xt should get here this weekend. Do I have to buy a bigger power supply or should I be set?

edit: new info, what the fuck does this mean?

Thanks for using Dell|Talk.
Dell rates the power supply using the mean average, while other manufacturers rate their power supplies by the peak power. The mean average is 250 watts, and the peak power capability is 345 watts.

Last edited:
Prolly, but if you want to be sure, hurl your 40gb into the nearest chasm and you're golden.

well, fine. Is there a special kind of power supply I need, how much wattage should I go for, what are some good brands, etc..

yea jotun, and I already checked there. what, you think you guys are the first place I go for hardware trouble?

NightTrain said:
Dell is conservative with their specs. I would at least try it before spending more $$$.
that's what I remember reading a while back.. their power supplies are better than how the numbers would make them seem

that's sorta good to know

the reason I don't give dell a call is because they only support what was available at time of purchase (01), so ive heard they tell you the 8200 only supports 128mb graphic cards, which is of course bs.

Thanks for using Dell|Talk.
Dell rates the power supply using the mean average, while other manufacturers rate their power supplies by the peak power. The mean average is 250 watts, and the peak power capability is 345 watts.

ok so.. this means its actually a 345? will that be enough juice for 2 hds and a 9800xt?

My 9800 PRO works fine in my friend's 8100 dell (with 250W). If you start getting random reboots, lose the 40 gig.

triple said:
ok so.. this means its actually a 345? will that be enough juice for 2 hds and a 9800xt?

It means it can handle surges that reach 345 watts peak, but will perform best with an average output of 250 watts. When you first turn an electrical item on it consumes a small surge in power that is momentary.
Doesn't the 9800 have an external ps connector?

Back