need arguments for contacts

B0B-

Veteran X
just recently got glasses, but would prefer contacts
my mom says that the constant cleaning of them outweighs the convenience of not having to wear glasses.

helpep

Constant cleaning?

Just get no-rub contact solution, they clean themselves for jeebus sake!

Why not get both? Contacts are great 99% of the time, but late at night my eyes dry out and I wish I had glasses to fall back on... will be getting them soon though.

B0B- said:
just recently got glasses, but would prefer contacts
my mom says that the constant cleaning of them outweighs the convenience of not having to wear glasses.

helpep

most people go the Glasses than Contacts route... especially since contact prescriptions aren't valid after a year (hence the reason they want you to buy a years worth of contacts), and your prescription with contacts usually isn't the same strength as your glasses (ie if you have 20/20 with glasses you'll have 20/30 or whatever with contacts). I had glasses for 3 years before i got contacts, and I still have to use my glasses, especially late at night when my contacts are dying to come out, and i'm not yet tired.

Oh, and don't get contacts like these, they don't help your vision:

blue.jpg

Your mom has no clue about the advantages of contacts, does she?

First off, if you play sports, it's a no brainer. If you get smacked in the face with glasses, you have the potential to get cut. With contacts, bloops, the worst that can happen is that the contact pops out. Big deal.

Second, there's no 'constant cleaning'. I have disposable soft lens contacts, and every night, all I do is take them out, put them in the case, and put in contact solution. Actually, I reuse my contact solution a few times before dumping it out. No optician will recommend that but it's not a big deal really unless it gets really dirty. After about 2 weeks (usually longer because they're still good) you throw them away and open another pair up.

Third, if you drive or do anything else that requires peripheral vision, contacts win hands down, unless you wear some sort of funky glasses that wrap around the sides of your head. I absolutely refuse to drive with glasses on now unless I have no choice.

I tried to use contacts once, but I have this twitch reflex that just causes me to close my eye whenever I try to put it on. I tried everything, and I still can't get one on.
Besides, there's the fact that once I get one on, how the hell would I take it off?

Just get the Night and Day ones... You can wear them 24/7 for up to a month, then throw them out, pull out a fresh set and your all good.

PyroTeknik said:
I tried to use contacts once, but I have this twitch reflex that just causes me to close my eye whenever I try to put it on. I tried everything, and I still can't get one on.
Besides, there's the fact that once I get one on, how the hell would I take it off?
yeah, i had that too :\

i tried using contacts a while ago.. but damn. putting them in got worse and worse every day. Sometimes they'd slip off the pupil onto the white of my eye and i had to use a little suction cup to pop them off.. sometimes when I put them on it would hurt like hell for no apparent reason. Also they gradually started to bother me more through the day, until I eventually couldn't even keep them in through school

my eyes just don't like having things touch them :p

jotun, they hurt like hell when there's something on the lens inside. you might not see it, but a tiny speck of dust will feel like a fucking wrong in your eye.

you guys actually putthem right onto your pupil/iris? i just look straight up and put it on the white then blink furiously for a few seconds and it pops into place

the front is called the cornea. your pupil/iris are IN your eyeball. i hope to god you're not sticking your finger in there somehow. ;)

Yeah, it's really not that hard. I love contacts millions of times better than i like glasses.. i can't imagine myself without them for any extended period of time now.

iNVAR said:
the front is called the cornea. your pupil/iris are IN your eyeball. i hope to god you're not sticking your finger in there somehow. ;)

i see, i just thought the pupil was the black part and the iris was the colored part.

when i dissected a cow's eye in high school i skipped all that learning bs and proceeded to launch the humor liquid at various moving targets.

iNVAR said:
damn you and your science

jiminy said:
you guys actually putthem right onto your pupil/iris? i just look straight up and put it on the white then blink furiously for a few seconds and it pops into place

That's how I was instructed to put them. Pull down the pupil, look upwards/straight ahead and then let go of the pupil when the lens is there, then just blink a few times to set it straight.
Of course, I couldn't do that. The sight of a giant finger coming up on my peripheral vision is enough to make me close my eye. The thing is, it's not something I can control, it's like a twitch reflex. I can feel the muscles contracting, but I can't do shit about it (like a knee-jerk reaction really).

EDIT: Er, replace "pupil" with "eyelid". Bad translation :eek:

You need to be able to trust yourself not to poke your eye out.. once I got over that, I could put my hand right over my eye with absolutely no problems whatsoever... and trust me, I used to twitch a LOT, just like you.

Also, what helps me is keeping your other eye open while you do it

I would take this opportunity to get your own contact lense prescription and tell your mom to fuck herself.

I haven't owned a pair of glasses in years. That doesn't mean contacts don't have downside, but shit.

Also when getting contacts, I get the 30 day wear lenses, though I do not wear them 30 days or even overnight. They are thinner than other lenses and more comfortable, and if you do sleep in them by accident or necessity, it isn't a big deal.

the only thing i still can't do properly is putting the contact in without a mirror.

Back