Anyone else understand this?

MilesO`Luck

Veteran X
So me and this girl were on our way to Myrtle Beach, SC from Charlotte, NC to see The Strokes @ the House of Blues... And on the way down you pass through a bunch of tiny 1-stopsign with a really predatory police force. Apparently, this is the best way they make money - from kids speeding on the way to the beach.

I got pulled by one of these cops in fucking Clio, SC for doing 50 in a 35. First off, there was absolutely no other reason to have such a goddamn low speed limit in this area except to setup a speed trap.

After he gave me the ticket, he gave me a city ordinance, and said if I paid the specified additional amount that I wouldn't get any points (I guess they just want the money, and don't want to fuck over ppl's records so bad). It looks like this:

The fines for this offense are hereby established as follows:
10MPH or less above the speed limit - $165 [he circled this]
11MPH above the speed limit but less than 15MPH - $220
16MPH above the speed limit but less than 25MPH - $290
25MPH above the speed limit - $430

So... There's NO category for 15MPH above the speed limit. :| I just called and the guy said that if its 15MPH (but no other MPH) then the officer decides what you pay. :huh:

MilesO`Luck said:
I got pulled by one of these cops in fucking Clio, SC for doing 50 in a 35. First off, there was absolutely no other reason to have such a goddamn low speed limit in this area except to setup a speed trap.

They can't simply pull a Rosco and just drop the speed limit for a speed trap.

Unless you are going through a residential section of town, then there should be a speed limit survey. If the survey recommended 45 mph, then you can probably fight the ticket.

MilesO`Luck said:

The fines for this offense are hereby established as follows:
10MPH or less above the speed limit - $165 [he circled this]
11MPH above the speed limit but less than 15MPH - $220
16MPH above the speed limit but less than 25MPH - $290
25MPH above the speed limit - $430

So... There's NO category for 15MPH above the speed limit. :| I just called and the guy said that if its 15MPH (but no other MPH) then the officer decides what you pay. :huh:

You were speeding and got busted and the officer let you off with the lowest fine. I fail to see the problem here. Suck it up.

Holy shit those fines are high. Here going less than 15mph over the speed limit is only a $43 fine. 15-19mph over is $86 and 20-25 is like $130. Anything over 25 is a big fine and loss of license, as well as an additional reckless driving ticket.

heh, i guess there is no fine for doing 15 MPH above the speed limit, eh?

the thing is though, if you were doing 50 at some point you were doing 49, 48, 47, etc... not much of an argument there

Guys...the way he worded it:

"After he gave me the ticket, he gave me a city ordinance, and said if I paid the specified additional amount that I wouldn't get any points (I guess they just want the money, and don't want to fuck over ppl's records so bad). It looks like this:"

It sounds like he is paying the standard $10/mph over and THEN this additional fee in order to not get a point on the record. If that is right it is really shady.

-Striker- said:
Guys...the way he worded it:

"After he gave me the ticket, he gave me a city ordinance, and said if I paid the specified additional amount that I wouldn't get any points (I guess they just want the money, and don't want to fuck over ppl's records so bad). It looks like this:"

It sounds like he is paying the standard $10/mph over and THEN this additional fee in order to not get a point on the record. If that is right it is really shady.
Well, yea you pay extra money to not get points. That is shady. I'm not sure if the amount circle is the additional amount or the total amount though.

I'd rather have the option of paying to remove the point from my record than not have an option at all. It may be shady but this is good news for you, not bad.

Its a City Ordinance of "Careless Operation of a Motor Vehicle" that they have where you sign saying you're guilty of "careless driving" and pay the additional fine, and they don't mail it in to the state - therefore you don't get any pts on your license -- therefore no insurance hike.

Its basically a way for such a tiny ass town like that to get $. Its literally a block long.

heh... just looked at that SpeedTrap thing... Basically the same situation - same area. He even mentions the extra fine to get off.

you were fucking violated by someone who is supposed to be there to serve the public. It's alot like what a pedophile preist does, only not quite so bad.

If I was a good lawyer, I would try to find everyone who got nailed that way and file a class action suit against that organized crime institution. And cops wonder why no one respects them.

Back