Oh what a lovely day :|

vawlk

Contributor
Veteran XX
Dateline Chicago, last night.

Raining and raining and raining....all night. I wake up to no power in the house. Go downstairs to check breaker, get to last step, and spash. 2 Inches of water covering the whole basement.

Much swearing ensues.

Battery terminal on the backup pump was corroded so it didn't do anything.

Much swearing ensues.

Go next door to borrow generator to get sump pumps up and running. Plug pumps in to generator and neither one worked. Both were working fine when I tested them a week ago. 2 Sump pumps fail in the same week, possibly the same night.

Much swearing ensues.

Drive to hardware store and pickup 2 new sump pumps. $225 later, I come home and remove old pumps and find out I bought a 1.5" pump with a 1.25" fitting (both).

Much swearing ensues.

Drive to ACE hardware and get new fittings, some PVC and a couple new checkvalves. Get back, install new pumps and get them running. Go out to garage to get Wet/Dry vac and start cleaning. Dethatching rake falls on my head.

Much swearing ensues.
Much blood letting ensues.

Go inside and get paper towels to hold on my head. Go back outside to get Wet/Dry vac which is stuck on the patio umbrella. Move umbrella out of the way, knock hand axe off wall and lands on my foot (luckilly the top of the axe).

Much swearing ensues.

Finally get wet dry vac down stairs, plug it in, and trip the breaker.

Big ass motherfucking sigh.

Open service, realize im still standing in .5" of water, get chair to stand on, and turn on power again. Use different outlet and finally start cleaning up.

:(

House floods are horrible.

Nothing ruins your day, week and sometimes even month faster than a flood in the house.

Sorry dude. :(

MADness said:
House floods are horrible.

Nothing ruins your day, week and sometimes even month faster than a flood in the house.

Sorry dude. :(
2 inches of water in the basement != flood

Sounds like what happened to me. The first year in my house last year my sump pump failed during the winter. Never had a sump pump before so I didn't even think to check it regularly. Well one day my wife and I woke up and it was freezing in the house. I went to the thermostat and saw that the temp read 58 degrees. I went out on the porch and opened the cellar door, and was horrified to see that my basement was completely flooded. I walked into the freezing water, and the shit was up to my waist. I walked through the freezing water to the other side of the basement to find the sump pump, and discovered that the damn bouye got caught on a rung inside the pipe that the previous owners put down. I had to literally go underwater and pull the damn thing free. Once I did that surprisingly the thing still worked. Thank GOD it didn't reach the circut breaker, but my furnace was pretty much underwater, well the pump for it was anyway. Had to replace the furnace since the water pretty much cracked the casing. Now I have one of those water sensors that beeps like a house alarm if any water comes in contact with it.

SloWBurN said:
Now I have one of those water sensors that beeps like a house alarm if any water comes in contact with it.

Ya, I am getting a water sensor hooked up to the alarm system so they will call if it senses water.

Gonna try to take pics of my head, my wife thought I should go and get stitches.

This is what fell on my head:
BGLawns128b.jpg

Back