X-Box 2 - No HD and No Backwards Compatibility

Doaln

Contributor
Veteran XV
Misfit linked me to this

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/news/news_6090737.html

Today, it appears those rumors have been confirmed. Speaking to the Israeli business site Globes Online, M-Systems CEO Dov Moran said that Microsoft has indeed decided not to include a hard drive in the Xbox Next's specs. "Microsoft has taken the hard disc out of its Xbox," he said. Moran went on to say "the only thing left will be a CD," presumably meaning a CD/DVD drive.

When contacted by GameSpot, Microsoft representatives deferred to their supervisors, who were unavailable as of press time. However, if true, the news means that the Xbox Next will likely not be backwards compatible, since it would be almost impossible for it to emulate how games dump data onto the Xbox's hard drive.

If this is true, it's bad news for X-box 2.

it's unfortunate, but seriously, how many xbox games will you still be playing when xbox 2 comes out?

I think I heard they're using flash drives.

yeah they are gonna use fairly large flash drives, so they can cut down on the sixe of the xbox

edit: large as in gigs.

"Moran indicated that in the hard drive's place would be one of his company's flash memory discs, which range from 16 MB for civilian use to the whopping 47 GB military variety."

fuck a hd ill take a 47gb flash drive please

The newest console game machine I own is a Nintendo. I don't care about stupid X-Box, Playstation, Dreamcast, whatver.

Rabid Poop said:
it's unfortunate, but seriously, how many xbox games will you still be playing when xbox 2 comes out?

I think I heard they're using flash drives.
The article makes it sound like the flash drives will be used like memory cards and *not* a permanent fixture.

Last edited:
DrJacabo said:
yeah they are gonna use fairly large flash drives, so they can cut down on the sixe of the xbox

edit: large as in gigs.
that seems way too expensive. they are using flash drives but i bet more like 512 or so. flash drives in the GBs are EXPENSIVE, more than they want the target price of xbox to be.

edit: granted the price will drop, but i wouldn't expect more than 4gb.

Doaln said:
The article makes it sound like the flash drives will be used like memory cards and a permanent fixture.

well the people you have to thank are xbox modders. That's my guess as the main reason for the lack of a hard drive.

I still play PS1 games on my PS2, but PS2 has much better and many more games than the Xbox, not to mention many you can only get on PS1/2. I never liked Xbox anyway, Xbox2 is all the more reason to buy PS3.

Rabid Poop said:
well the people you have to thank are xbox modders. That's my guess as the main reason for the lack of a hard drive.
I think the biggest reason is that harddrives are expensive.

JodoFett said:
No, I would definitely say it is because of the modders, especially with Microsoft's stance on that kind of thing. Flash memory is going to be 10x the cost of a hard drive per gigabyte. 512MB RAM (I don't know how that compares to flash) is $75, an 80GB hard drive is like $90.

JodoFett said:
What's ridiculous is how EXPENSIVE fucking memory cards are. For fucking 16 mbs of PS2 memory cards it's fucking $35-40. fuck for $40 i could buy an 80 GB hard drive. HAFKJFJDSLfljflafla;sj;lfaslfsafsa

Ixiterra said:
No, I would definitely say it is because of the modders, especially with Microsoft's stance on that kind of thing. Flash memory is going to be 10x the cost of a hard drive per gigabyte. 512MB RAM (I don't know how that compares to flash) is $75, an 80GB hard drive is like $90.
the big difference is instead of MS eating the loss (like on Xbox 1), they'll make a killing selling those flash drives.

no more custom tracks then? that'd suck. i still play original gameboy tetris on my gba, i like backwards compatibility.

JodoFett said:
its the hackers fault....thing of all the pirated games and homebrew apps xbox has. xbox has been hacked to pieces.

Varnish said:
no more custom tracks then? that'd suck. i still play original gameboy tetris on my gba, i like backwards compatibility.
if the flash drives are large enough & they want to allow it, then maybe.

xbox2 is sill almost 2 years away, does anyone remember the prices of anything 2 years ago

actually, i wouldn't be surprised if all three of the next consoles are a new media like the GC was. if you look at it, it's pretty damn successful. i'm willing to bet there is far, far less piracy of GC games than the other two systems.

Doaln said:
the big difference is instead of MS eating the loss (like on Xbox 1), they'll make a killing selling those flash drives.
We've already established that flash memory is significantly more expensive than HD space. ;) So I doubt they're going to be making any killings. Not unless they only include 64MB or something. Besides, I think it's fairly standard nowadays for the console companies to be losing/breaking even on every console they sell (PS2 probably earns a bit of money since it's fairly outdated and cheap to make). The big bling comes from game sales. :shrug:

Back