Virus delivery method - hypothetical...

vempire

Resident Freak
Veteran XV
A couple friends and I were having a discussion about this last night. My one friend and I thought it was fairly possible. More than likely not easy, but possible. My other friend was pretty adamant that it could never be done.

So, here's what we thought: somehow embed a virus into an MP3 so that it extracts/executes when the MP3 is played in any player such as Winamp, WMP, etc. None of us are coders, so it is all just hypothetical based on simple knowledge. My friend's arguement against it was that a media player does not actually execute anything so you would have to modify the player to be able to do it. Our arguement for it, was that you could make the virus a self-extracting virus of some sort so that the action of playing the MP3 would trigger the self-extraction. Then the virus would be on your system, ready to do it's dirty work.

So what do you think? Could this actually be feasible? Not that I want to actually do this, but I just want to settle an arguement.

a better idea is to call the virus blah.mp3.exe and hope the user autohides known file extensions and/or is stupid

buffer overflows have been found in older versions of winamp, the virus would be program specific and would have to overflow onto the program's stack.

Back