[NFL] Current Salary Cap Situation of All 32 Teams

Jislan

Contributor
Veteran XX
If you're not a hardcore football fan, don't read any further, you'll die of bordom :)

This is current as of February 18th (thx to espn's john clayton)

This list should help fellow nfl enthusiasts get a better grip on their team's potential off-season activity. Keep in mind that these numbers still include the salaries of players who will be waived/traded come March 2nd (I believe that's the end of the nfl's financial year [Salary cap context: end of the year on player contracts]) and doesn't include restricted free agents on the roster, players who will be franchised (for the most part), or potential cost of draft pick salaries.

Color Code:
Tons of cap room - should be enough to sign/resign two or even three big names and retain key players on roster.
Large amount of cap room - should be enough to sign/resign one or possibly two big names and retain key players on roster.
Above average amount of cap room - Probably enough to sign/resign one big name and keep the majority of the key players on roster.
Minimal amount of cap room - Probably enough to retain majority of key players, but most likely will have to clear some space if they want to sign/resign a big name
In trouble - Will probably not be able to retain some key players or sign/resign any big names unless a large of amount of cap room is cleared
Heading in wrong direction - Needs to clear a ton of cap room if majority of key players are to be retained, even more if they want to sign a big name
RED ALERT! RED ALERT! - Team is close to a near complete purge of key players and big names if they are to get under the cap. Probably completely out of the market for any big names unless drastic measures are taken to get back under the cap.

Ranked from best to worst:

Baltimore Ravens - $23.03 million under

Philadelphia Eagles - $22.6 million under

New Orleans Saints - $20.6 million under

Minnesota Vikings - $19.1 million under

Arizona Cardinals - $16.9 million under

Dallas Cowboys - $15.5 million under

St. Louis Rams - $14 million under

Detroit Lions - $12.9 million under

Carolina Panthers - $12.5 million under

Chicago Bears - $11.3 million under

Seattle Seahawks - $10.5 million under

Houston Texans - $10.4 million under

Jacksonville Jaguars - $9.3 million under

Cincinnati Bengals - $8.15 million under

Buffalo Bills - $6.8 million under

Washington Redskins - $6.4 million under

San Diego Chargers - $4.4 million under

Indianapolis Colts - $4.2 million under

Atlanta Falcons - $3.9 million under

Kansas City Chiefs - $3.8 million under

New York Giants - $3.2 million under

Cleveland Browns - $3.2 million under

New York Jets - $1.28 million under

Green Bay Packers - $1.1 million under

Oakland Raiders - $511,000 under

San Francisco 49ers - $205,000 under

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - $2.8 million over

New England Patriots - $4.6 million over

Pittsburgh Steelers - $4.7 million over

Denver Broncos - $5.7 million over

Miami Dolphins - $10.5 million over

Tennessee Titans - $17.5 million over

espn.com's alphabetical listing

One thing that jumps right out at me is Denver. They're possibly trading Clinton Portis (who has a really tiny contract by NFL standards because he's still getting paid as a second round draft choice and not the franchise back he is) for a monster contract in Champ Bailey, but they have the third worst cap situation in the league. Lots of room is going to have to be cleared, meaning a couple of big names on the team will probably get waived (read: Ed McAffrey possibly, although I don't know the terms of his contract)

I'm going to eventually post a thorough explanation of the salary cap/free angency/player contracts/etc... when I get the time. It's really a beautiful system that the other major sports should adopt to improve the overall quality of their leagues (especially baseball) :)

Last edited:
Talamius said:
How about the Pats, loaded with draft picks but way over the cap.

They'll probably trade one if not both of their first rounders to either move up in the draft or for a player.. Don't forget antwaine (sp) smith will be waived and he counts a few mil against the cap I believe.

yep..will be interesting :p

*edit* But, anyone whos worth getting will be wearing a skins jersey next year. Dan Snyder > all when it comes to signing the big names.

PinAction said:
yep..will be interesting :p

*edit* But, anyone whos worth getting will be wearing a skins jersey next year. Dan Snyder > all when it comes to signing the big names.

Big names aren't always key players... Deion Sanders, Jeff George, Trung Canidate, Bruce Smith all come to mind... :p Coles and Portis (if it goes through) are brilliant pickups tho.

yea..coles rocks :p . Fun bunch part 2? :p

I think one of his best pickups has been John Hall though :p Before that, our kickers were just hideous. And kickers win games ;-p

Portis has a very team friendly contract but there are serious concerns about him holding out.

The guys who are being forced to restructure deals include Lepsis, Salaam, Eddie Mac and Mike Anderson.

The problem here is that they also have to find a way to re-sign Wilson.

pffbt, Phins are always over. They'll figure out a way and get everyone under. I believe Fiedler and Griese count a bit towards that.

Jislan said:
Big names aren't always key players... Deion Sanders, Jeff George, Trung Canidate, Bruce Smith all come to mind... :p Coles and Portis (if it goes through) are brilliant pickups tho.

All of those were has beens and were over the hill when the skins signed them, save Trung Canidate. He just wasn't very good.

Those teams that are a few million over the cap won't have much to worry about, they are a few releases and restructures away from being fine.

garcia will take a paycut but won't be traded or released with a 10 mil deal in place for this year...

meh broncos :(

shouldn't have dished out all that money for gardner last year. same goes for plummer, even though I love Jake and think he's going to be a great QB. He wasn't worth 7 mill a year for a guy who was underachieving in Arizona.

They should cut Eddie Mac, Lelie is more than enough of a substitute. I love Clinton Portis and would hate to see him go, but can't argue with 4 time probowler Champ Bailey. He's arguably the best corner in the game, and Denver hasn't had a shutdown corner in forever. Mike Anderson and Quentin Griffin will still keep Denver's run game solid, which gladly Shanahan has been able to churn out 1,000 yard rushers with anyone they put in there. Al Wilson must be resigned though.

Wow, Miami is fuxored. No wonder why Marino quit after 3 weeks. He saw the books and said I'm outta here.
Plus Miami gives their draft away for washed up vets.
Fiedler going will help.

Bucket_Of_Mom said:
The niners will lose Owens, and I hope they release that subpar mother fucker Garcia

Speaking of Terrell Owens, it looks like Philly and Baltimore would have an edge over Atlanta based on this list, and Owens has said he's basically going to the highest bidder... so that might put the Kibash on him being a falcon. I think he'd be a better fit in Philly's offense than Baltimore's personally. McNabb to Owens sounds like a better combo than... Kyle Boller or Chris Redman or Anthony Wright to Owens. :p

NoGodForMe said:
Wow, Miami is fuxored. No wonder why Marino quit after 3 weeks. He saw the books and said I'm outta here.
Plus Miami gives their draft away for washed up vets.
Fiedler going will help.
iirc, they were 15 million over last year and had to sign some key players (ZT comes to mind) and they still managed to get under the cap.

Back