CNN: Silicon discovery could speed up PCs

I like it being stagnant. It means I'm not forced to upgrade every 3 months to play a game.

Hell the rig I put together for T2 3 years ago still plays today's games on their max settings.

Kind of interesting. Silicon as a semiconductor is not very good at emitting/absorbing light, I'm kind of interested in how they actually did this

Fool said:
I like it being stagnant. It means I'm not forced to upgrade every 3 months to play a game.

Hell the rig I put together for T2 3 years ago still plays today's games on their max settings.
I think the CPU market has kept on track, it's just that software isn't being made that only runs on super new technology only

If what I heard at the Intel show last fall is correct, it would appear that Intel is slowing CPU releases because they feel that there is no need, as the competition was not impressing them.

:shrug:

The Intel researchers built a device called a modulator, which switches light into patterns that translate into the ones and zeros of the digital world.

flashlight.jpg

Aestis said:
Kind of interesting. Silicon as a semiconductor is not very good at emitting/absorbing light, I'm kind of interested in how they actually did this
Did you READ the article?
The light is passed THROUGH the silicon.

A light beam was split into two as it passed through the silicon, which has tiny transistor-like devices that alter light. When the beams are recombined and exit the silicon, the light goes on and off at a frequency of 1 gigahertz, or a billion times a second.

Infrared light is used because it can pass through silicon.

Last edited:
Everyone just shut up ant tell me how manny giga jacks this thing will run when it gets up off its feet!

Reggs said:
Everyone just shut up ant tell me how manny giga jacks this thing will run when it gets up off its feet!

I asked a guy at work how fast his pc was and he said he wasn't sure but he thought it was a 1 jiggahurt.

Fool said:

Ditto, unfortunately it still couldn't play T2 with decent settings.

Back