Digital Camcorders? Need suggestions.

sarbuze

Contributor
Veteran XV
Anyone have a digital camcorder that they would suggest (price range $400-800.00). It is for the lab I work in and will be used to track animal behaviors, record dissections, and also for conferences. If nothing else, what is a good brand of digital camcorder that would maybe fit that price range? I was looking at panasonics...

Thanks.

Have to order it through our purchasing department, so ebay is out of the question. But I will look more into JVC, saw one I liked.

I have a JVC that has broken 4 times.
I have a Sony that has never had a problem.

Get the best Sony you can afford.

6228931_rc.jpg

Sony MiniDV Handycam Camcorder with 2.5" SwivelScreen Color LCD Monitor
Model: DCR-HC20
Full-featured camcorder makes it a breeze to capture digital video and stills with its Easy Handycam button and program AE modes.
10x optical/120x interpolated digital zoom; Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens with built-in lens cover
2.5" Hybrid SwivelScreen touch-panel LCD display (123K pixels) provides easy viewing even in bright sunlight
1/6" Advanced HAD CCD with 680K total pixels for sharp detail and clarity in both video and still images

What about this one?

Get a sony, don't get anything else, everyone told me to get a sony but I was like hmmm this JVC one looks the same....Opened it up....it fukin sucks nuts. Get a SONY!
Make sure its MiniDV

enigma4286 said:
TRV33's arent too good imo, the TRV80 is nice

I have a trv 950. Awesome. Just not in the dudes price range... I think the 80 is out of his range...

I've got a Sony and I love it.......it has "Nightshot" and uses the same technology the Militarys Nightvision so you can shoot video in complete darkness up to about 50 feet away........Never had any problems, except the wife went cheap on it and didn't get the one that did 2.4MP for the stills and ours look crappy, but the video is supurb....

My friend has had no problems with his JVC and he uses it all the time...does in-car recordings too. Quality is great. His family went through two Sony cameras that just stopped working, though, and they'll never go Sony again. Their two Sony TVs have had nothing but problems, and his old Sony car CD player died after two years. My current roomie's parents have a Sony TV that is dying after only a few years. (Yeah, I got away from cameras but I'm just poking at the "sony quality")

I've bought only JVC TVs and audio equipment (well, some Pioneer too) and it's all still chugging away...years and years later. The only thing to stop my first JVC stereo was a bolt of lightning. :p

So bleh! It's just luck of the draw. :shrug:

jvc does not make good camcorders.

that being said, here are some things to consider:

- Sony always has the best low-light camera's, and usually very "crisp" images
- Canon has better lenses, usually with higher non-digital zoom, and warmer images that look a little less "digital" than the sony's
- Both Sony and Canon make great camera's

so, do yourself a favour and buy a sony or a canon...personally i prefer canon, but that is just a personal prefernce.

Crom said:
- Canon has better lenses

ahh, but Sony now has the Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens :) I think he would be happy with either a Sony or a Canon.....He just needs to check out all the features of both to find what suits his needs.....

Back