Sound slowdown in XP with SBLive! card

Machine

Veteran XX
Brand new install of winXP with an older SBLive 5.1 card

The issue is that mp3s will slowdown at times, and cpu usage seems to jump up a bit, then back down. This happens with every song, no matter what player i ue (tried winamp and WMP)

Anyone know of a fix for this? I tried DLing and reinstalling the latest drivers, i couldnt find any setting that would fix this.

Could be sound drivers... Maybe Direct X...

:shrug:

Actually I'd put money on sound drivers.

Well i guess ill post some results here for posterity. Heres a list of what i did and its primary effect (secondary).

Reinstalled the card 2 or 3 separate times.
Latest 4 in 1 drivers: Nothing (Frustrating)
Latest SBLive! Drivers w/patch: Nothing (Frustrating!)
Switched PCI Slots: Nothing (FRUSTRATING)

Finally i went into the BIOS and enabled PCI Bus caching and lowered the timeout from 34 to 1, this seems to have fixed it.

Ive had lots of problems with by SBLive! and XP. When I play sounds the sound crackles and makes really annoying noises. Does it sitting there when I dont touch anything and then really gets bad when I click like a desktop icon or somthing.

Ghetto said:
Ive had lots of problems with by SBLive! and XP. When I play sounds the sound crackles and makes really annoying noises. Does it sitting there when I dont touch anything and then really gets bad when I click like a desktop icon or somthing.
Sounds like EMI from the mouse/USB/PS2 port or the FPU. Interesting.

Machine, switching PCI slots would only serve to request different IRQ assignment from Windows XP, which is all handled through ACPI anyway. Slot arrangement has little, if anything, to do with what you're seeing. It's good that you fixed it though.

Back