c++ runtime errors in games

Evita

Veteran XV
Just built another pc. A simple low-end job to hold me over until vengeance.

AMD XP 2500
Crucial 512mb 3200
GeForce FX 5200 128mb AGP
Maxtor 40gb 7200
Shuttle MK40VN MOBO
XP Home

Ok, pretty low-end system. I think the mobo sucks badly. It uses a VIA chipset.

Ive never had runtime errors pointing to the games .exe on any system ive built, ever. It pops up the 'c++ runtime error, abnormal program termination' message after a few seconds of gameplay.

Ive formatted and re-installed XP 4 times in one day, searched countless forums, etc. The latest install order ive tried is this:

1. install os
2. sp1
3. via drivers
4. directx
5. nvidia drivers

No luck guys. This is pissing me off. Should I just give up and swap out mobos? Im starting to hate the VIA chipset. Im tired of the games flashing, freezing, locking up the system, etc.

Anyone else have this problem with a via chipset and geforce cards?

Last edited:
Hi Evita,

It might be your RAM that is the problem, have you tried swapping out the RAM and then trying a game? I mean if your system works fine except for games then it prolly is some type of driver. So you could also remove all unnecessary adapter cards (i.e. sound) and then try. I would think that it is the software, but you have reinstalled a couple of times, so I am inclined to believe it is the hardware. You could also try installing a different OS. Hope that helps.

Hey nelps

Yes, ive tried different memory, just to be sure. And I was thinking of just installing slackware, and giving windows the boot.

I cant think of anything else it could be other than the via chipset. I have tried the onboard video, an ati 9000 64mb AGP card, and the current geforce card mentioned above, and I have the same runtime errors each time.

Im stumped, hence the tapping of the tw brain pan.

Well, for t:v im building an intel system, 2gb ram, and whatever the hottest vid card is at the time.

But, for now, I need to be able to play ma games.

I just got off the phone with my vid cards manufacturer. They said to call shuttle. They also said they wouldnt see it being the chipset, but since ive swapped out different cards, that I should call the mobo manufacturer and rule that out.

arg. I know someone else has had this problem here!!

thissucks.JPG

Last edited:
I used to get same when playing DAOC (And only DAOC) with my sucky Radeon 8500 Pro. No idea why :| Now i don't get that, now i get the "Radeon bug" aka screen totally messes up and comes full of vertical lines from color scale of yellow to brown. Looks like overheating, but i know it's not, couple friends are getting same, sometimes asap @ startup / game launch

Back