WELP! My roomate is whoring our bandwith and I need help! WELP!

haniblecter

Veteran XX
OK, here's the story.

My roomate Tom is a big network guy. Knows networks like the back of his hand and built a lovely router that he wants to use in place of our linksys wireless (understanble, linksys = shit).

BUT. This house has always had shit pings on CS and horrible lag in War3. He attributed part of it to the linksys router and the fact that three people use the one line (1500/250 btw comcast - sometimes we get well over 3 megabit). Well, I finally get fed up with the weird pings - form 36 to 600 - that I go to his room and unplug his antenna. BINGO perfect pings in CS and lovely speed tests at dslreports.

I know he has remote access and prolly runs bittorrent files off his computer here while he's at work or his g/f's house (which he's over CONSTANTLY).

My question lies in that he asked my landlord to forward him two ports. Now, by forwarding two ports directly to Tom, does that mean he can whore those two ports without any of our gaming traffic, thereby hoarding all the bandwith for himself? Or does he have to compete with us for it still?

The big problem is, he knew he was the one giving both me and my other roomate/landlord the problems. And may even knowingly have made it so he gets first priority in bandwith usage. Is this the case and can I bring it up?

I'd agree with you. If you are each paying an equal share of the connection, then unless agreed to otherwise (like if you guys are at school/work he's allowed to host BT files or whatnot) I would say that he is only entitled to 25% of the overall bandwidth usage. Call him on it. Just because he set things up and whatever else doesn't entitle him to fuck you over.

Install a packet sniffer on the network and see whats going where. ;)

The 2 ports are most likely for his remote access app or for some sort of VPN. That doesn't mean he isn't whoring the bandwidth though.

K.

Does torrent literally goble up bandwith. I understand how it works, but thats mostly upload. Of course, if the guy has 5 Debbie Does Dallas's dl'ing at once, then he's going to fry it.

Is there a way to get some kind of bandwith limiter? Something that'll ensure that each computer (three, btw) only uses 500 kbps?

I may just set a schedule down about bandwith usage.

Metropolis said:
Install a packet sniffer on the network and see whats going where. ;)

The 2 ports are most likely for his remote access app or for some sort of VPN. That doesn't mean he isn't whoring the bandwidth though.

But, by forwarding those two ports, does that give his cmputer priority in bandwith over my and my other roomates?

haniblecter said:
K.

Does torrent literally goble up bandwith. I understand how it works, but thats mostly upload. Of course, if the guy has 5 Debbie Does Dallas's dl'ing at once, then he's going to fry it.

Is there a way to get some kind of bandwith limiter? Something that'll ensure that each computer (three, btw) only uses 500 kbps?

I may just set a schedule down about bandwith usage.

It's not the downloading that gives you 600 ping buddy.

There is one thing you need to understand...

If he's using bittorent then you're going to get shit pings and lag to everything, this is because he probably has it set for max upload. If he's using your entire upload stream which im sure he is for bittorent, then there is your problem. You need to tell him to cap his upload.

haniblecter said:
But, by forwarding those two ports, does that give his cmputer priority in bandwith over my and my other roomates?

No. Having 2 ports dedicated to his machine just means he has apps (most likely his remote access app and bit torrent\kazaa\whatever) that need ports open in order to function properly. That alone wont do shit to the overall bandwidth. But if he is uploading at full speed he is gonna cripple the network.

Get a packet sniffer like eEye or Etherpeek and you'll be able to see exactly what's going where. No need to overanalyze the shit it does, just see if his IP is getting tons of traffic. If it is, then tell him to limit it to sleeping hours or just throw his fucking computer out the window. :)

edit: eEye is the company not the software. Check out their site, they prolly got trial versions.

http://www.eeye.com/html/Products/Iris/index.html

Last edited:
Thanks alot guys, TW to the rescue.

I think the splatter pattern formed by his teeth and frontal lobe would look nice on his barren walls. Only question is 10 or 12 gauge?

Back