Why don't snow storms thunder?

Miracle

Veteran X
Can somene find a scientific explanation for this?

If thunderstorms can hail, and snow increases the conductivity of the ground . . . why don't snow storms contain lightning?

-cyanide- said:
i have never heard or seen lightning in a snowstorm before

me either... lived in ohio 6 years, boston 3 years, assload of snowstorms and tons of snow both places... never seen lightning or heard thunder in em.

I think the reason there isn't usually lightning in a snowstorm is because there is no moist, warm air to create large clouds such as those in a thunderstorm.

Very Scientamalogical Website said:
What causes Thunder Storms? Most severe Thunder Storms happen in America because of its giography of the United States east of the Rocky Mountians. There is the best spot for Thunder Storms to accure. The basic ingredients used to make a Thunder Storm is a warm, moist air mass and the humid tropical air that flows over the eastern and central United States from the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean, and the Alantic Ocean around Bermuda during the Spring and Summer are the perfect recipe for Thunder Storms. Any kind of Thunder Storm can generate gust of wind that can trigger additional Thunder Storms up to 100 miles away.

i think its safe to rule this site out as a viable source of knowledge

Heard it in North Dakota before, it was a strange day, started off with nasty wind and rain even a tornado nearby, then it became very cold it started snowing and there was lightning and thunder.

Here in Missouri, we've had them before.
JoMo mentioned one once, and here in JC, we've had them before. Not usual, but I remember having them as a kid, and then again earlier this winter.

it rained tree branches one thunderstorm before, then it got hot again so thats definitly a snow storm. Yeah.

Back