Search for Power Supply Continues

Neckhole

Veteran XV
This has turned into somewhat of a saga :|

I made a trip to Fry's yesterday, they only had one Antec p/s that was 350w. My previous power supply was 400w, and I'd like to at least stay in that neighborhood.
Anyways, they had a bunch of other power supplies too, and I wanted to know if there were any other high-quality power supplies, or should I just save the hassle and get one off newegg and wait a week for ground shipping.

31073 said:
what about a mom and pop type computer store?

The ones around here only carry non name brands which mostly suck. Then they want more then what a nice PSU can cost.

hm.. the one i used to go to would order anything, and not charge me shipping... and their prices were pretty good... but now its too far away.

Don't know what brand your previous 400 watt unit was but 350 watt Antec should be plenty for most single cpu systems

Allright, I think I've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 power supplies. One of the three isn't in stock @ newegg, so I might have to wait on it.

Anyways can anyone tell me the difference between the "TRUE" and other Antec power supplies? The only thing I can see, is that the True power supplies have an 80.000 MTBF (mean time between failures) rating and the others have a 50,000 MTBF.

Heres the three I'm considering:
Antec SL450 - $69.99
Antec True 480 - $83.00
Antec True430 - $71.00 (out of stock)

Just pay the extra for a PC Power&Cooling. Its hands down the best there is, and a great 5 year warranty. Buy it, and never worry about it again.

Enermax works fine. If you've got something that can't handle +5V being at +4.79V, it's because the component (motherboard, video card, etc.) are shoddy. 4.79V is within normal tolerances. Or, perhaps the power supply was overloaded.

I have an Enermax in my main machine, and a Seasonic in my studio comp. The Seasonic is amazingly quiet. The Enermax is amazingly loud.

There's a great section of PSU reviews at www.silentpcreview.com - and it's not just quiet they look at, they rate the rail voltages and heat as well. Nice site.

Emilee said:
Just pay the extra for a PC Power&Cooling. Its hands down the best there is, and a great 5 year warranty. Buy it, and never worry about it again.

pc power & cooling psus rock, they also do custom work

it doesn't get better, they do carry a premium
its probably a better investment tho

Yes, they are the best. But they are probably more expensive than most people want to pay. They have the best rails, great 5 year warranty, and are just second to none in quality.

Back