networking question

JimmyCarter

Contributor
Veteran X
i don't really know anything about networking so this is probably a very very simple question. all i want to do is connect my xbox and computer to the same connection. where i get confused is the different type of connections. the only one's i see mentioned are when you connect to a cable/dsl modem then to the wall. well this is on my school's network so it's just a standard ethernet plug in the wall sort of thing. so, i guess what i'm asking, is should i get a switch, hub, router and what are the differences?? please help. thanks.

A hub will suffice if you're allowed to have more than one IP.

*edit: You could also use ICS if you're using XP or 2000.

get a 5 port switch or router.. plug the cable/dsl into the uplink port.. then run a single line from each the computer and the xbox to the device

Personally, I'd go for a router. More versatility.

You could also just buy another NIC and use ICS if you're on XP or 2000 like I said. Probably a bit more complicated, but cheaper (you can grab a whitebox 3Com NIC for $15.) ICS would essentially turn your PC into a router,

But I'm not Ire.

you need a router if you only have one IP address.. the router will hold the one address as a gateway and the computers/devices inside the network will be assigned internal/fake addresses for talking inside your network and to the router...

...if ya follow me..

JimmyCarter said:
i see what you're saying kurayami. xp has a setup wizard for that doesn't it?
I'd imagine. I don't have XP handy to check.

I know it'll have a big helpfile about it, though.

5 port router they are at staples,walmart,best buy, target you name it.. go to a guy and say it with me "5 port router" they will hook ya up :)

Get a router, ICS is hell, I'm using it right now but I plan to buy a router as soon as I get the money.

Gobd said:
Get a router, ICS is hell, I'm using it right now but I plan to buy a router as soon as I get the money.

How is ICS hell? ..I've always though its an easy workaround *shrug*.. I could see it being a problem with an Xbox though.. but between more then one computer it shouldnt be a problem..

If the server freezes the internet does too, which ruins any downloads that were open on the clients at that time. You can't restart the server computer no matter how much it needs it until whoever is using the clients get off the internet. The clients constantly lose their IP addresses forcing you to restart them and sometimes the server to get them a new IP address. It also isn't as secure as a router. There are also a lot of great P2P programs that don't work at all though ICS but they would through a router.

stop running windows 95? ..let me rephrase.. ICS with XP and 2000 is easy enough

..lol

Back