SHARED video memory

P Masta Flex

Contributor
Veteran X
Whats the deal this this/how does it work/whats preventing you from assigning some of your system ram to vid ram? :roller:

I'll take a crack at it. But you can be forewarned; this is just my best guess. I'm predicting that this'll be good enough, because you're obviously too lazy to take Vlasic's excellent advice.

I'm assuming you want to assign some of your onboard RAM, to your offboard (AGP/PCI/Whatever) video card.

Theres a lot of reasons this doesnt happen; the ram on your video card is typically much faster and is directly hardwired (for lack of a better word) to your VPU. Whereas your RAM on the system board is practically on the other side of the world. I can only imagine the clusterfuck of hardware/software you'd need to introduce in order to allow the VPU to use the system memory.

Considering the difficulty and the difference in speeds, I can't see why this would be beneficial at all for trying to increase your video memory.

Shared memory is usually featured on a motherboard that has onboard video, and the VPU is integrated and connected up to your RAM on the motherboard.

A better question might be, why would you even want to give system ram to your Video card?

Back