another automotive thread: Replacing a head gasket

fibulator

Banned
problem description:
im loosing anti freeze which leaks into the engine and exits through the exhaust system.

suggested (by a mechanic) repairs:
replacement of the head gasket and refurbishing of the cylinders.

car info: 92 camry v6 200k miles; other problems: rear main seal leak and cv boots need to be replaced too.

estimated total for repair done by a mechanic: $1200

used replacement engine + installation total: $800

autozone charges for a head gasket: $30

additional info about this problem: http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258007&page=1&pp=20

have u guys experience with this kind of problem? what is the probability that head gasket is gonna fix it? what else can i do to take care of this problem? and last but not least: so how do i change the head gasket?

as usual i appreciate yall's advice!

heh, my dad has the exact same car with over 200k, reliable little car

we'd probably sell it if we had to drop that much into it, I don't think it's worth much more than 2k or so

I had a 92 civic (rawr 92 horsepower hatchback) that had this happen while I was driving long distance. I literally stopped every exit on the fucking highway, replacing coolant and water, but yeah. It took a new engine to resolve that little issue. Live and learn.

JustinCase said:
heh, my dad has the exact same car with over 200k, reliable little car

we'd probably sell it if we had to drop that much into it, I don't think it's worth much more than 2k or so

yep thats what im gonna do. all i need is to get it into a halfway decent running condition.

[Rogue]MiScHiEf said:
I had a 92 civic (rawr 92 horsepower hatchback) that had this happen while I was driving long distance. I literally stopped every exit on the fucking highway, replacing coolant and water, but yeah. It took a new engine to resolve that little issue. Live and learn.

so u tried replacing the head gasket without success?

If the gasket broke from overheating (most likely), then the heads are also warped and need to be machined.

cv boots are not part of the engine, so in comparing the various methods of repair, the engine replacement will not help you with that.

Barbarian said:
If the gasket broke from overheating (most likely), then the heads are also warped and need to be machined.

cv boots are not part of the engine, so in comparing the various methods of repair, the engine replacement will not help you with that.

ignore the cv boots for now...
so where can i get them heads fixed at and for how much? what effects will not machining the heads have?

No, in my case I fucked the engine so thoroughly on the trip back that it wasn't worth the time. I just felt like posting about the drama, even though it's not really helpful to you.

fibulator said:
what effects will not machining the heads have?

If the headgasket failure was due to overheating, it will fail again very quickly or not even work at all. If the heads overheated, they will be warped and thus the need for machining.

honestly with a car that has that many miles on it, its probably not worth putting the money into it... if you have to ask about head gaskets installation, you aren't ready to tackle it yourself (no offense), it isn't like changing oil. Just installing a headgasket will fix the problem temporarily, but chances are whatever caused it to blow in the first place will cause it to blow again in a short amount of time (esp if it was from overheating). If the rest of the car is in really solid shape - no major rust, decent brakes, exhaust, tires, transmission, etc. - perhaps shop around for a good mechanic and have the work done. After all is said and done however, you may just want to add a grand or two to what you'd spend on repairs and find another newer econobox with less miles on it. Good luck either way!

Barbarian said:

Heads need to be surface planed and crack checked regardless. If there is no damage to the head you will be ok. Changing a head gasket is a bitch unless you know what you are doing and have the correct tools. Take it to the mechanic, get a rebuilt Engine or an insurance Engine from Kelly's in Texas.

Psychosis said:
honestly with a car that has that many miles on it, its probably not worth putting the money into it... if you have to ask about head gaskets installation, you aren't ready to tackle it yourself (no offense), it isn't like changing oil. Just installing a headgasket will fix the problem temporarily, but chances are whatever caused it to blow in the first place will cause it to blow again in a short amount of time (esp if it was from overheating). If the rest of the car is in really solid shape - no major rust, decent brakes, exhaust, tires, transmission, etc. - perhaps shop around for a good mechanic and have the work done. After all is said and done however, you may just want to add a grand or two to what you'd spend on repairs and find another newer econobox with less miles on it. Good luck either way!

i recently had a new radiator put in so i dont have to worry about it overheating as long as it stops losing antifreeze, which hopefully will be fixed with the head gasket replacement.

It's not too hard. Make sure you get a timing belt and maybe water pump too.

Take off the covers over the cam (damnit forgot word) and the timing belt. Remove the timing belt. Remove the head. (prolly weighs between 60-100 lbs)

Scrape off the gasket gently. Working gently with a screwdriver or paint scraper, being very careful not to scratch the surface. Take some solvent and a toothbrush after to both the block and the head and scrub off the last bit, making sure it's still shiny. Look at the head, pistons, and cylinder walls for signs of great wear or rust.

Take the old gasket and put it against the new gasket and make sure they match exactly.

Put new gasket in. Make sure it fits perfectly.

Put head back on. Be sure to torque the bolts tight enough.

Replace water pump (optional)

Line up cam and crank properly, then put in new timing belt.

Put cam cover (still can't remember word) and timing belt cover back on.

Best advice I have is go spend $15 and buy the Haynes book for your car. Don't get a chilton, they suck. Haynes is much better. Most auto parts stores should have it, and it will tell you exactly how to do this and all the stuff to think of or watch out for.

Chikaze said:
Best advice I have is go spend $15 and buy the Haynes book for your car. Don't get a chilton, they suck. Haynes is much better. Most auto parts stores should have it, and it will tell you exactly how to do this and all the stuff to think of or watch out for.

roger, dodger! already got it last week. lemme check the autozone price for the water pump real quick

edit:
APORA-NEW WATER PUMP for a 1992 TOYOTA CAMRY
Unit Price: $55.99

hmmmmmm

Last edited:
fibulator said:
i recently had a new radiator put in so i dont have to worry about it overheating as long as it stops losing antifreeze, which hopefully will be fixed with the head gasket replacement.

something caused the head gasket to fail; simply replacing it w/o figuring out what is a band-aid fix. Don't bother replacing it w/o having the head checked and machined, it'll just end up being a collosal waste of time. Could've blown due to any number of reasons, problems in a particular cylinder, overheating, etc. The car could turn into a money pit real quick, and it really isn't worth it. Just get another econobox for a couple / three grand, you could easily find one w/ around 100-125k on it.

You dont' want to get into head gasket / timing belt / cv's / water pump / etc. , especially if you're paying someone for all that labor.

camry...is that the 3VZE 3.0l v6 that was in pickups and 4runners from '88-95? that one had a lot of head gasket problems and there was a recall to get it fixed for free

I have to do timing/water/cv/maybe clutch to my car, but I'm elite. I grew up fixing old dodges and plymouths. (my dad preferred money pits to new cars, because he thought used cars were cheaper :rolleyes:)

Btw, what are the symptoms that water's getting into your cylinders?

When water gets in a cylinder I think 3 things: rusted cylinders, dramatically reduced compression, dramatically changed exhaust.

Chikaze said:
Btw, what are the symptoms that water's getting into your cylinders?

When water gets in a cylinder I think 3 things: rusted cylinders, dramatically reduced compression, dramatically changed exhaust.

it smokes white smoke. there are no visible leaks, but anti-freeze is being lost

edit: the compression or horsepower is ok. externally, there is no rust visible on the engine.

Has driving been affected?

Btw, it is VERY odd to just blow a head gasket for no damned reason.

Back