snowboarders

Glare

Veteran XX
tip/tips/tricks?

im going next week and i will have a teacher but i feel all she will do is laugh at me while i eat shit

what do i need to know to rule the slopes

oh and ill be renting my shit but what do i need to know as far as gear goes

holy shit...it took me like 10 minutes to find the reply button on this new layout

anyway, I'm in the same boat Glarey-poo
I've never been before and I know I'm going sometime this winter

I used to skate a lot though so I think I'll have the balance thing down....too bad I'm way outa shape :\

if you've never boarded on anything, you'll probly eat shit for the first day, then you'll start to get used to the balancing

GL!

once i get some cash id like to buy my own but thats down the road and a whole different thread

so..from what i gather its better to fall on my forearms, carve instead of flat board, and packing some travel pillows on my ass isnt such a bad idea?

theres a pretty easy learning curve with snowboarding. learn the basics and after a day or 2 of practice you get the hang of it real quick

glare... you should first learn to get your balance etc, practice on the bunny slopes. then learn to turn quickly.. it doesnt come really quick

slowly after that try to do 180's and learn to board on both sides. but yea before tricks comes learning how to board down the slope like everyone else

i dont expect to dom9inate that shit or anything

but i dont want to make a total fool of myself

even if i do ill have fun though

oh yeah glare, wear a small pad that covers your ass and make sure it covers your tail bone. you will fall on it 200x in a day i swear.

There really isn't anything that people can tell you that will suddenly make you learn real fast. You'll just go out there and fall for a day or two and after that you'll do a lot better. The learning curve is pretty quick--a lot faster than skiing. You just have a few shitty days in the beginning.

Start out on the bunny hill of course, and don't leave until you have control of both heel and toe edge turns. Some pointers: Keep your weight forward on your front foot. If you try to turn by moving your front foot, 90% of the time you will fall. Use your back foot as a rudder to control you turning radius. Start slow and keep moving up faster. When learning toe edge, I found it easiest to make sure I looked where I wanted to turn and letting my body do the balancing rather than concentrating on my balance first, direction second. Lastly, once you have control of heel and toe edge and are ready to try riding switch/fakie, I found the easiest way to learn is to do two turns regular, switch to fakie, do to turns and repeat. This allows you some more control of your speed and really allowed me to catch on really fast, but safely.

I was a slow learner with snowboarding, and above is just some tips to think of. Every person learns differently and has a different idea of the best way to learn. Good Luck, and most importantly just have fun.

fartiusstinkius said:
There really isn't anything that people can tell you that will suddenly make you learn real fast. You'll just go out there and fall for a day or two and after that you'll do a lot better. The learning curve is pretty quick--a lot faster than skiing. You just have a few shitty days in the beginning.

Personally, I thought skiing was much easier to learn at first. I was off the bunny hill in a couple hours skiing, but had a harder time progressing past basic turning technique (things like moguls, slalom (I can't spell)).

With snowboarding, I think once you get it, you can progress really quickly. There isn't much in your technique that you can improve besides bigger air and rotation.

don't go near any mounain edges on your first time down (I almost fell to my death when I started 3 years ago :| )

and yea, get your carving down; it may just save your ass from falling off a mountain.

Last edited:
Your quads and hams are gonna take a beating. Chances are you'll learn how to carve in one direction at first and use that to keep yourself from falling down the mountain. If you learn to get on your edge with the heel, make sure you really stress learning to get on the toe edge and vice versa.

have fun glare. a few times out there and you'll be ready to haul ass down the steep parts.

Back