Newly released DVD, why the hell do they pause?

DocHolliday

Contributor
Veteran XX
I noticed that on alot of new releases that midway thru or later there is a spot that will pause for a split second. What causes this? Have you guys noticed? I thought it might have to do with new encryption techniques trying to foil rippers.

Movies I noticed that do this:

Pirates of the Caribbean, Santa Clause 2, Bad Boys 2, and a few others that I can't remember at the moment.

look on the back of every dvd that does this, and it will (probably) have a message saying something like: Because this DVD is double layered you may experience a slight pause when the player switches layers.

GF is checking the movies now. I also noticed this on LOTR, Matrix 2 and X-Men 2.

Ah she said it says "Dual layer format. Layer transistion may trigger a slight pause. "

That was on the back of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Cool thanks guys, it was starting to annoy me that all these new movies were doing this.

Layers
There are a number of different DVD configurations - Single Layer (DVD-5), Dual Layer (DVD-9 / RSDL), Double Sided Single Layer (DVD-10), Double Sided Single/Double Layer (DVD-14) and Double Sided Dual Layer (DVD-18). Each layer on a DVD contains information, at the end of the first layer the laser within the DVD player needs to refocus on the second layer. This can take anything from 1/10th of a second to 5 seconds depending on the disc and player.

Have to be careful too, old old DVD players don't like dual layered DVDs at all. I had no problems when I first bought a DVD player several years ago, but as time went on, I'd rent or buy a DVD and 50% of the time, it wouldn't work because of the layers. Ended up having to buy a new DVD player. Good thing the prices on those things have dropped considerably.

and really old dvd players don't take well to anamorphic discs. i mean REALLY old players.

a good player will only stutter for less than a quarter of a second on the layer change. mine takes about .5.

I am authoring a 4 disc DVD9 set for a client...and i have had to explain this like 40000 times to them, and they still get fucking pissed cause "you made a mistake...there is a pause in the middle of this clip"

clients rule at sucking

That seems a bit sloppy. They should design the disc so the layer change occurs during a scene transition.

Back