Its that time of year, kidlets - pick my new PDA/ebook reader

Excel

Contributor
Veteran XV
My current little library is a refurbished sony pegt415, and its being a bitch. Wont always charge, casing is warped from a bad drop, etc. I bought a 64 meg stick of MS memory, and its got my ebook library on it in palm/mobibook format.

So here is the conundrum. I have everything in palm format now, and I have a memory stick that is got 32 megs free still, so no sense losing it really. Do I stick with the Sony/palm platform, and get the Sony TJ-35 -

-or do I make the leap to a power pc unit, like the Dell X5? The Dell, while not using MS memory or palmdoc/mobipocket format, does have bluetooth for easy transfer from PC direct to onboard memory. I can probably get most of my ebook library in windows ereader format, so its a matter of price and cost of new flash memory.

you decide, I have a shitload of monitors and pc's to collect from salesforce.

Fine, get ready to help me at oh-dark-thirty, monkey man!

58-201-020-01.JPG

Last edited:
no seriously i want your old one

oh and i reccomend you stick with the sony format, because you can get a compact flash bluetooth adapter. they also have SD ones too

PsioniX said:
no seriously i want your old one

oh and i reccomend you stick with the sony format, because you can get a compact flash bluetooth adapter. they also have SD ones too
sony doesnt use compact flash or sd.

... and the pocketpc units are much more versatile, too. Which is the only reason I'm considering one, given how expensive they are.

Excel said:
Fine, get ready to help me at oh-dark-thirty, monkey man!

58-201-020-01.JPG
I'd like something like that if they made them with ethernet or USB ports. I don't want to fuck with wireless or FaggyMcProprietary GayMemoryWandsThatRequireTearingThingsAppartToTransferData in order to dump a 500K document onto it.

what the shizzy?

Why are you a vet? You still have a couple months until you're supposed to get your vet title.

No idea about which platform to go, but how do you get books in text form?

Reno said:
what the shizzy?

Why are you a vet? You still have a couple months until you're supposed to get your vet title.

No idea about which platform to go, but how do you get books in text form?
Bacardi bought me a title for a few TWD's. Ends today or tomorrow.

http://www.webscription.net/
Baen scifi sells their books in multiple electronic versions. mobipocket, msreader, html, etc. Since I am flat out hooked on at least 5 of their series, I like this option - 5 bucks for a book, and I get the rights to download it anytime I want, in any format.
Before you say "wtf, buy paperback" - this is faster, cheaper, and I can read off a pda screen in the dark, since it has a backlight. I figured it out, and even with the pda cost I've saved about $50 bucks this way, and I can carry my entire library with me at all times. I haven been bored in a year :D

ok, but they want a fucking TON of money for it, Fngr. Sell me. The bluetooth, coupled with my pc and new cell phone, is the strongest feature so far. That overrides the sony's infrared connection, which is slower than shit and kinda pissy.

Now, convince me that the higher price and need for more and different flash ram is worth it - I'm also saving for a car, so money is a sticking point.

my old one is not up for grabs! It cost me a hundred bucks, and has served me well - it goes on display in the Excel Memorial Museum and Fascist Popcicle Stand, and that is final.

X-1 Falcon said:
What fngrbang said. :cheers: I am ordering mine after Christmas.​
I'm fixin' to order mine today...

Excel, $329 for an Dell Axim X3 400Mhz is a "ton" o money to you? I'm not opting for all that "Wi-Fi" crap. I don't need it. Well, I'm about to spend $2,900 on that along with a custom Dell Dimension 8300.

How much does all that weigh in at?

Yes, it is a ton of money for me - its an entire month's worth of disposable income, after bills and the mandatory $1000 into savings.

.... and after reading, none of them have bluetooth. x5 has a add on card, available. Welp, fuck that.

Just in case anyone else wants to know about this thing:
axim3i_front_131x145.jpg

CNET review

As the flagship of the new Axim line, this model (and its wireless-deprived twin, the X3) features a 400MHz Intel XScale PXA255 processor, 64MB of SDRAM (55MB of which are user-accessible), and 64MB of Intel StrataFlash ROM--similar power and memory specifications to those of top models from competing manufacturers. The 33.5MB of ROM not dedicated to storing the operating system can be used to back up vital data with an included utility. Because the X3i uses nonvolatile flash memory, the data remains intact even if the battery dies.

Thanks to Dell's included wireless LAN setup utility, using the X3i's integrated Wi-Fi is a snap. Not only does the utility show the quality of the wireless link and the signal strength, it allows you to ping the connection to make sure you're still online. Once online, the X3i can connect to MSN Instant Messenger, access multiple POP3 or IMAP4 e-mail servers, and work with Microsoft-centric corporate virtual private networks. Even the most technically inclined will likely need help--and access permissions--from their corporate IT department to set up some of those higher-level functions, however.

Other than that, the X3i's software is standard issue: Windows Mobile 2003; ActiveSync 3.7; Pocket versions of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, MSN Messenger, and Windows Media Player; and several other application demos on the CD. Dell provides a padded slipcase with a belt clip for those who like to wear their technology on the hip. In addition to an extended battery, a fold-up keyboard is available as an aftermarket upgrade.

Like all Pocket PCs, the X3i can double as a voice recorder and a portable media player. The standard 1/8-inch headphone jack will work with any Walkman-style headphones, and the small rear-mounted speaker can be used for low-fi audio playback. You'll want to supply your own SD or MMC memory to store songs or videos, however.
Axim X3i Features

Intel® XScaleTM Processor up to 400MHz
Microsoft® Windows® Mobile 2003
X3i : Integrated 802.11b wireless technology

Memory:
RAM: up to 64MB SDRAM
ROM: up to 64MB Intel StrataFlash® memory

Optional: Foldable External Keyboard
Optional: Snap-on Thumb Keyboard

Screen:
TFT Color 16-bit, Touch Sensitive, Transflective LCD
3.5 inches
240 x 320 resolution at 65,536 colors (QVGA)

Controls:
5-way Navigation button

Scroll Dial - Up, Down, Action

4 Program Buttons: Calendar, Contacts, Inbox, Home

Voice Record Button

Reset Button

Media Player Button/ Wireless On/Off (Optional)
Backlit Power Button Event Notification
Charge Status

Back