progressive laggyness?

-Dark-Angel-

Veteran XV
Over the past month or so my computer has become progressivly choppy or laggy or whatever you want to call it.

Like for example when i move my mouse accross the desktop it will stop for a split second then continue to move again.. The ammount of times it stops is whats becomming progressive. before it would happen maybe.. once every so often.. now it happens like 2 out of 5 times. This also effects games, music, movies ect..

I've run virus scanners, i've defragged, i've run scandisk and i've run both spybot and adaware but i cant find any reason for the slow choppyness my computer is seems to be suffering from.

any ideas?

Last edited:
next time it's doing it ctrl-alt-del and see what processes are running, also, what OS, ram, chip, mobo, etc...how much of a paging file/virtual memory do you have?

umm.. there's no way i can decipher whats running in task manager.

CPU: AMD Athlon 2200+
Mobo: Asus A7N8X
RAM: 512MB RAM
Page File: 274MB used, 976MB available
Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800
Sound: SB Live!

Then take a screen shot of your process list and post it here.

process.jpg

Like that. Sort by Mem Usage.

Data said:
What 16-bit apps are you running that require NTVDM and WOWEXEC?

i have no idea what NTVDM and WOWEXEC are..

but umm.. no it doesnt seem to be happening right now.. it hits for like a second and goes away..

some examples:

Games: In Tribes i try to turn shoot ect.. and it gets choppy for like .5 seconds (enough to fuck up a shot or get killed)

in Gunbound when i use my power slider it might go full power when im not trying to use full power..

in RTCW same as tribes.

Music: Song plays and seems to skip for a sec.

Video: video skips and sometimes throws off the synch.

its really a subtle skip or whatever but its noticable.. and highly annoying after a while.

You're not going to nail down something that random so easily. Frankly, unless you get really lucky, you may never find it.

Start with drivers and processes and work from there.

You'll prolly replace some component some day or remove a program, and discover that it stops doing it.

o yea...the sblive drivers are ass.

There was one set I found, released by compaq that made them work ok and never errored. All the ones creative put out sucked.

Back