Mandrake or Redhat

Pelleas

Veteran XX
So i have to install linux on my machine for school, those are my only two choices just wondering which one would be better, this would be my first time using linux.

at this point, mandrake

redhat is no longer making redhat, the free user one is now fedora.

Redhat is only doing enterprise shit now. Therefore, if you need a solid OS that is well supported, you're probably gonna need Mandrake

Can anyone with some knowledge of this stuff, give me your opinion about the future of linux? I know very little about it, but there seems to be alot more excitement about it recently...I was also wondering what companies will dominate if it does take off.

there really is no way to answer that question.

I'd love to even try sweetbabyj, but linux is just so decentralized , that you won't find a good investment, sinc3e i assume thats what you're looking for. I love Gentoo, but unless they simplify the install 20fold it will never take off, same goes for debian. With redhat only going corporate, it could become a major player there, but Mandrake will be the most for the end user, but i don't really see people paying for linux, as most of the spirit of the OS is that it is open and free.

A commercialized linux just won't work, imo

I'm not necessarily looking for an investment, I trade for a living, and have seen the market go a little nuts about some of these stocks, but I'm afraid to short them because I don't understand the future of linux.

For example, Novell has moved into this space with SuSe and everyone loves the stock because of it. IBM has made an investment in Linux. They wouldn't be doing this unless they expected profits at some point, I just don't get it.

T w i z t i D said:
there really is no way to answer that question.

I'd love to even try sweetbabyj, but linux is just so decentralized , that you won't find a good investment, sinc3e i assume thats what you're looking for. I love Gentoo, but unless they simplify the install 20fold it will never take off, same goes for debian.
A commercialized linux just won't work, imo

Doesn't Knopix do a Debian install when you tell it to install to a hard drive?

If so, it sounds like a really sweet way to get core Debian installed.

BTW, I fully agree with you about commercial linux distros never being successful.

Last edited:
I dunno, I could see some companies paying for Linux. If the shit was straight and had good support, less man-hours could be seen and this could quite possibly balance out in the long run.

Granted, at $1500 bucks a server, the chances of this prolly decrease exponentially and whatnot...

I'm high... who knows... :redblob:

Rancher Dan said:
Doesn't Knopix do a Debian install when you tell it to install to a hard drive?

If so, it sounds like a really sweet way to get core Debian installed.

BTW, I fully agree with you about commercial linux distros never being successful.

knoppix is based on debian

Sweet, my 2 cents:

Linux as a boxed retail product is a no win proposition for a company. Everyone that's tried it has crashed and burned, or at least stopped doing it.

Currently, money seems to be made in value added crap. Consultants can take someone else's work, modify it and sell the results. We're talking fairly small potatoes here.

IBM seems to be one of the few big companies making a profit with Linux, but they're using it as an operating system for the hardware they sell.

I'm not sure I see a real profit center for business to do with Linux on any other kind of large scale, other than on the receiving end. In other words free is a hellava lot cheaper than what Microsoft is peddling.

In some cases, such as in web serving, Linux is superior to the equivalant Microsoft product, but generally speaking, up to now, it's just been cheaper.

Back