Possible ofn... Novell bought out Suse

i want to say ofn so bad.. but no one posted on it (prolly cause novell and suse suck ass and no one cared).

DAMN YOU SCOOBY! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

GhostHorse said:
someone translate this techno babble

microsoft stole someone elses idea and made money off it calling it their own.

wow.. i think i just crammed the entire history of microsoft into 1 sentence.

Locke355 said:
microsoft stole someone elses idea and made money off it calling it their own.

wow.. i think i just crammed the entire history of microsoft into 1 sentence.
I think he was curious, as am I, about what NDS is and what MS calls it now that they've copied it etc. etc.

NDS is Novell Directory Services. Active Directory is kindof like NDS (its not called NDS anymore though).

AD has about 60% of the features of NDS, doesn't scale as well, and is a single platform. NDS is a more mature directory, is crossplatform (MS and *nix), and a ton more powerfull.

Novell is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else but is yet another casualty of MS's marketing machine.

Locke355 said:
i want to say ofn so bad.. but no one posted on it (prolly cause novell and suse suck ass and no one cared).

Novell sucks ass? heh, ok. No one posted cuz very few people here have ever set up a novell server, and if they did it was for basic file and print services.

I doubt anyone here could even begin to list the power novell gives you.

ms servers are easy and workable so i appreciate the platform.

P1aGu3 said:
NDS and AD are both glorified LDAP.

Well sure they use LDAP as a base (uh standards), but saying its glorified ldap is like saying a 747 is a glorfied cessna.

vawlk said:
Novell sucks ass? heh, ok. No one posted cuz very few people here have ever set up a novell server, and if they did it was for basic file and print services.

I doubt anyone here could even begin to list the power novell gives you.
I'm just starting to get into Novell, and it's nothing short of amazing.

im actually kinda stoked about this. while SuSE has some real faggotry in their distro they do have some really cool products. for instance their drop in NT4 environment is really cool. complete with the ability to use the NT4 gui admin tools to add users and mailboxes.

now if novell ports their 'nds' to linux that would be thuper cool. a true proven powerful DS like this will really help linux grow even more now.

vawlk said:
NDS is Novell Directory Services. Active Directory is kindof like NDS (its not called NDS anymore though).

AD has about 60% of the features of NDS, doesn't scale as well, and is a single platform. NDS is a more mature directory, is crossplatform (MS and *nix), and a ton more powerfull.

Novell is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else but is yet another casualty of MS's marketing machine.

I thought NDS runs on Novell which is an operating system of it's own, not on MS and Nix.

I never really got into MS until like late 4.0. All the large corps I worked with (like Fox) was all novell. Of course when I started on Novell it was all bindry 3.12 etc and pf course moving into 5 when they standardized more into the LDAP and away from IPX.
Wouldnt mind playin with what they have developed to date.

Vlasic said:
I'm just starting to get into Novell, and it's nothing short of amazing.

cept for the fact that some of the features are "backwards" in the way you use them compared to MS, even though MS copied novell. It's still the standard. I still get messed up when not using console one to manage things, because they switch around which side the files and directories are in the browser. But yeah novell is great and everything. took a whole class on it. It still will never pick up and be as big as MS.

Back