Since almost none of you look in the bizzaro world known as Tribes Talk...

kwago

Veteran XX
there's a thread over there I think some of you guys should check out and contribute to. It's about adding different moves to T:V.

"movement definitely needs a facelift and i've seen a plethora of awesome ideas in this thread. Skiing can be deep, but this is not adding any depth to a new tribes game.

The jetpack could be a lot cooler than it is. I loved the dive bomb idea someone brought up. That would definitely add some depth for vets to have some fun with. Different jetpack configurations should be something you can cycle through the touch of a button or mapped independently. There would be modes like this.

- Lift: the traditional jetpack action
- Dive: thrusters point upwards
- Forward: Thrusters push you forward to you can slide on flat terrain or for a boost when skiing.
- Reverse: could be awesome for skiing backwards but still able to get clear shots on your enemies, but would be a lot more useful for dodging.
- Overdrive: equivalent to a disc jump type of lift, but takes about 80% of your energy.
- Hover: allows you to float a couple of meters off the ground and uses very little energy. drawback is that you cannot move around in the air as fast as you normally would be able to.

Another gem brought up was the air defense idea. This idea would add so much depth to the game. Would not only give the vets with quick reaction times something new to master, but would add something that is a realistic reaction to that kind of situation. This could totally be mastered by teammates to become the new generation of disk jumping.

Another idea someone brought up with this was the ability to grab onto projectiles. This would so rock and is totally possible to do. grabbing onto a missle to ride it back home to make a cap just screams style. However this could be a little too easy, to combat this i propose a Grip Meter of sorts. Once you grab onto a projectile this little meter comes up showing how good of a grip you have.

tvgrip.gif

too loose and you fall off, too tight and the projectile blows.
The speed the little black bar moves depends on the angle of the projectile-
-high angle = loose grip
-low angle = better grip
When you are gripped, your jets serve the purpose of controlling the grip meter.
To add more depth to this, the shooter of the projectiles could toggle a feature that causes the projectile to explode whenever the it is grabbed. Only problem with this mode is that it makes the projectile very sensitive to taking fire.

Wall jumping is something that so needs to be in this game. This would add so much depth to indoor levels. They did it in ut2k3, therefore totally possible to recreate. The flag slingshot is also a wonderful idea that would add some awesome style to the game. However, you should be able to grip on to any sort of pole and just hurl yourself around. That would be so awesome and a totally acceptable substitute to the grappling hook in my eyes.

Beacon stopping was brought up too. In another thread i brought up the idea for spikes to shoot out from under the player's feet to dig into the ground. It's a lot less hokey than a beacon stopping a player dead in their tracks. Perhaps for more realism, the spikes would be less effective in different environments such as snow or rocky terrain."

edit: some people bring up the idea that players will stand by another player that is shooting missles to catch them as soon as they take off causing a catastrophic unbalancing to the game. This is something i should of addressed earlier. When the missle launches it will simply have too much power behind it to be able to get a grip on it. So if you thought an army of lights riding in on missles was going to happen, i gave ya the wrong idea.

Last edited:
gha?

edit: a lot of these ideas would over-complicate a control system that is already very complicated, thus making the elarning curve even steeper, which will in turn scare away potential new players.

Last edited:
i would just like the ability if flying fast into the wall to either

a. grab it and hold on at any point
b. bounce off in another direction

I've got a great idea as well!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111! Let's make movement period needlessly complex, you must hit keys in the right combination at the right intervals to be able to move, ski, or fire a weapon; oooh and while we are at it, let's add in 10 different types of turrets because you can NEVER have enough turrets!!!

And Handstands, where would we be without handstands??????????????????????

While I like all these ideas, I'm not sure I'm going to want to buy a surplus NASA simulator just to bind all the keys.

Kizzak said:
I've got a great idea as well!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111! Let's make movement period needlessly complex, you must hit keys in the right combination at the right intervals to be able to move, ski, or fire a weapon; oooh and while we are at it, let's add in 10 different types of turrets because you can NEVER have enough turrets!!!

And Handstands, where would we be without handstands??????????????????????
the idea brought up in the thread were anything but complex to pull off. they are all things that could be done with the push of a single button coupled with precise timing, they are not some wacky killer instict-like combo.

we're talking about movement not unbalanced weapons. Tribes has a lot of style to it and it can have a lot more. A lot of crazy shit is possible with the ideas above which is great for pulling in new players.

Back