Anyone ever drive from Seattle to San Fran in winter?

Colosus

my pronouns are..
Veteran XX
How bad are the passes in CA during winter on I-5? I've driven in the summer, but never in the winter and would like to know what to expect.

I-5 is generally never fully closed

they keep it open and safe for trucks so its safe for you

the only part that would be bad is the pass coming into california

This is one of the highest places I can think of in NorCal.

Snow Advisory - URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR SHASTA LAKE AREA / NORTHERN SHASTA COUNTY VALID FROM SAT NOV 15 2003 02:54 PM PST UNTIL SUN NOV 16 2003 04:30 AM PST.
BURNEY BASIN/EASTERN SHASTA COUNTY- MOUNTAINS SOUTHWESTERN SHASTA COUNTY TO NORTHERN LAKE COUNTY- SHASTA LAKE AREA/NORTHERN SHASTA COUNTY- 300 PM PST SAT NOV 15 2003 ...SNOW ADVISORY TONIGHT... PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CONTINUE TONIGHT WITH ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES EXPECTED OVER HIGHER TERRAIN THROUGH THE NIGHT. SNOW LEVELS ARE FORECAST TO REMAIN BETWEEN 4000 AND 5000 FEET.

PsioniX said:
I-5 is generally never fully closed

they keep it open and safe for trucks so its safe for you

the only part that would be bad is the pass coming into california

Yeah, that's the one I'm worried about. My car is just a piddly front wheel drive commuter. I don't really want to have to put chains on or anything. :-\

Colosus said:
Yeah, that's the one I'm worried about. My car is just a piddly front wheel drive commuter. I don't really want to have to put chains on or anything. :-\
It would really suck if you have to put on chains because then you'd be guaranteed to have the trip time doubled. If it is too bad though, they will make you put them on.

Colosus said:

if there is enough snow to require you to put chains on I-5, then there is enough snow that the pass will be closed. Thats how they operate that pass

What if I took 101 all the way down? How is that Highway? I've never driven it before. Can you maintain a good 70 mph on it?

It's a step down from 5 as far as hyways go, if traffic isn't too heavy you can do pretty good, not sure about 70 though.

dunno bout outside of california, but once you get in its kinda windy of a road, cause you're goin through the redwoods. Once you hit around an hour south of Eureka, which is where i grew up, until about 2 hours north of san fran itll be about 45-50 max for a little while.

real pretty drive though

if you want to go fast, go 5

if you want to try to go fast, and then go through a bunch of turns fairly slow, and then avoid the cops that camp the 101, then go 101

I made the trip to San Diego from Puyallup about Mid January in a crappy ford tempo and a 8ft long U-haul trailer. Only had one or two problems but they were caused by turbulance off of big rigs trying to knock my fat ass off the road. I took I-5 the entire way. It's something like a 20 hour drive or so if I remember correctly.

Colosus said:
How bad are the passes in CA during winter on I-5? I've driven in the summer, but never in the winter and would like to know what to expect.
when are you coming down? cuz I'm doing the drive with my dad Jan. 1-2'ish...

Back