Any Dune fans here?

Remo

Veteran XX
I just saw the miniseries and have a quick question. Remember how the harkonnen destroyed the atreides base on Arakis and Paul and his mom escaped into the desert? So why didn't the atreides on caladan come to the rescue? I am sure they had time to radio back to their homeland for help. Why didn't caladan really play a role in the retaking of dune or the aftermath?

I know we have Lord of the ring fans, matrix fans, hulk fans, batman, superman, spiderman, star wars etc.

We must have some dune fans here....anyone?

the atriedes were a very small house
i think they took the majority of their forces to dune

im not sure, but i think im right
plus technology is very limited by law in that universe, so they might not have the means to message them that quickly

they knew that there were traitors in the house and dint know how extrensive it was so they feared for their lives

they dint have ample opportunity

they discovered the fremen were more powerful on dune than house atreides would ever be

I always wondered why no help from their homeland ever came:(

And if I were the harkonnen and the Emperor I would send a strong invasion force to caladan and destroy it once and for all!!!

Heck, they could of occupied Paul's home planet and kept many hostages for negotiations and what not plus obtaining atreides technology as well.

Remo said:
I always wondered why no help from their homeland ever came:(

And if I were the harkonnen and the Emperor I would send a strong invasion force to caladan and destroy it once and for all!!!

Heck, they could of occupied Paul's home planet and kept many hostages for negotiations and what not plus obtaining atreides technology as well.
they had to be semi legit, since the atriedes were gaining power in the laansrad (sp?) council.. couldnt just straight up annihilate them on their homeworld

but then other houses would start to get concerned

even tho they plot against people they can be so brazen as to just go in and overthow a great house

if you would read the original 'dune' it would all make sense =]

the books describe the diplomacy involved alot better

Long distance communication is only made through actual messages tranferred aboard Guild ships that fold space. The more you are willing to pay the faster your message can get there.

As the guild were interested in killing Paul, due to his prescience(something the guild enjoys a monopoly on(prescience leads to space folding)) they basically shut down transportation and communication off the planet. This is why no help came or occurred.

On top of that the majority of the Duke's(small but effective due to Weirding Modules)fighting force was already on Arrakis...the only help that could truly have came were from other Great Houses, but they feared 3 things if they helped the Atreidies.

1) The Emporer and his Sardukaur
2) The Guild cutting them off from Space travel
3) The now occupying Harkonnen's ability to cut them off from spice.

There is the abilty to talk through mind thoughts over great distance, but it is typically reserved for those with prescience(both sender and receiver) and they are generally twins.(This is addressed in more detail in Brian Herberts(Frank's son) precontinuation of the Dune series.)

Upon Paul and his Mother going into the dert it is assumed they are dead. Upon their death, the feifdom of Caladan would have been distributed as the Emporer sees fit. So their would be no retaliation from Caladan.

I am a Dune expert ask and you shall receive.

[QUOTE='[OPs]
I am a Dune expert ask and you shall receive.[/QUOTE]

I know everything there is to know about dune, I've found my grasp of it unmatched, because herbert is dead.

Remo said:
So why didn't the atreides on caladan come to the rescue? I am sure they had time to radio back to their homeland for help. Why didn't caladan really play a role in the retaking of dune or the aftermath?

Almost all of the atreides forces were on arrakis, there was no one to save them.

If there were they would have been far to late. Messages in the dune universe are carried by messenger on foldships, it would have taken a few days + the guild who controled these ships wouldn't have allowed it.

Last edited:
[OPs]Prophecy said:
Upon Paul and his Mother going into the dert it is assumed they are dead. Upon their death, the feifdom of Caladan would have been distributed as the Emporer sees fit. So their would be no retaliation from Caladan.

I am a Dune expert ask and you shall receive.

If I remember correctly, the Harkonens got Caladan.

[OPs]Prophecy said:
There is the abilty to talk through mind thoughts over great distance, but it is typically reserved for those with prescience(both sender and receiver) and they are generally twins.(This is addressed in more detail in Brian Herberts(Frank's son) precontinuation of the Dune series.)

The further dune books by his son are shite imo, he took the series in the wrong direction. He lacks the style of his father and while they are a good read, they simply cant stand up against the originals.

P Masta Flex said:
The further dune books by his son are shite imo, he took the series in the wrong direction. He lacks the style of his father and while they are a good read, they simply cant stand up against the original six.

I can't agree more. Not only that, but there were MAJOR inconsistancies in them. The only reason I wanted to read them was because the son was supposed to put in information that Frank had in notes before he died. But there's so much crap in there it's impossible to guage what he put in and what's complete and utter crap.

Although I agree the prequels by his son do not fair up to the originals, ask yourselves if they could ?

Dune, considered by many, myself included, are the greatest Scifi literature of all time. How do you write to that level without being Frank H. yourself.

My enjoyment of them comes from the abilty to take another trip into that universe. I have missed it. :)

Could someone write novels to compare with LotR ? Or the Bible, or I, Robot ? I don't think so, and that is the slack I give them(the son and co-author).

I will say that getting the background on Gurney and Duncan was great. You can see now why they are so loyal to the Atreidies banner. Also, you can also now see, that Paul's father was so much more than just a sperm donation to the Bene Gesserit plan. He was truly a great leader.

But again, they still don't compare.

Back