I got a lovely copyright infringement notice today

Realjones

Veteran X
Unauthorized Use of Universal Motion Pictures

Notice ID: ----

31 Oct 2003 02:27:08 GMT

Dear Sir or Madam:

Universal City Studios Productions LLLP and its affiliatedcompanies (collectively, "Universal") are the exclusive owners of copyrights in many motion pictures, including the motion pictures listed below.

It has come to our attention that University of Pittsburgh is the service provider for the IP address listed below, from which unauthorized copying and distribution (downloading, uploading, file serving, file "swapping" or other similar activities) of Universal’s motion picture(s) listed below is taking place. We believe that the Internet access of the user engaging in this infringement is provided by University of Pittsburgh or a downstream service provider who purchases this connectivity from University of Pittsburgh.

This unauthorized copying and distribution constitutes copyright infringement under Section 106 of the U.S. Copyright Act . Depending upon the type of service University of Pittsburgh is providing to this IP address, it may have legal and/or equitable liability if it does not expeditiously remove or disable access to the motion picture(s) listed below, or if it fails to implement a policy that provides for termination of subscribers who are repeat infringers (see, 17 U.S.C. §512).

Despite the above, Universal believes that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. We urge you to take immediate action to stop this infringing activity and inform us of the results of your actions. We appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.

The undersigned has a good faith belief that use of the motion pictures in the manner described herein is not authorized by Universal, its agent or the law. The information contained in this notification is accurate. Under penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on behalf of Universal with respect to this matter.

Please be advised that this letter is not and is not intended to be a complete statement of the facts or law as they may pertain to this matter or of Universal’s positions, rights or remedies, legal or equitable, all of which are specifically reserved.

Very truly yours,

Aaron Markham
Manager of Internet Anti-Piracy,
Worldwide Anti-Piracy Operations
VIVENDI UNIVERSAL ENTERTAINMENT.
100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, CA 91608
tel. (818) 777-3111
fax (818) 866-6339
antipiracy@unistudios.com

owned :( good thing all the university wants is for me to delete the file. I used bittorrent for the download...so just be aware.

T w i z t i D said:
how the fuck?

did you then share it afterwards? via kazaa or irc or some shit?

he just said he used bittorrent... that means its automatically shared as you're downloading it

the same thing happened to my friend a year ago when he dl'd some movie off irc at the university of missouri

he got a letter like that, but the campus internet people made him do some service project or something.

owned.

Yea just get a copy of Animal House and say you were downloading a backup and you did not know that Bittorent automatically shared it.

Of course it sounds like they're not pressing charges, so you probably shouldn't do anything like that.

amRam said:
he just said he used bittorrent... that means its automatically shared as you're downloading it

I understand that, but to my knowledge, the RIAA and MPAA haven't been going after BT users, because its system isn't as easy to press charges against as kazaa et al.

I was looking to know if they are now going after BT or if he d/l'd it BT and then shared it on his campus network or trasnferred it via kazaa. Typically, they don't go after downloaders, but after sharers. (yes i understand you share while you dl, but still, it is different)

iNVAR said:
i'd like to see the full email headers
I'm sure it was forwarded on by his university, which means anybody at the university could easily spoof it coming from an admin or something.

o btw, "peer guardian" is supposed to help cuz it basically blocks all known bad RIAA and MPAA ips. basically just a list of like 100k IPs or somethign. google it.

Back