studying abroad

cheezit

Veteran XX
I went to the 1st of a few meetings for students interested in a study abroad program in bonn, germany here at osu today. they don't decline applicants who meet the requirements unless they have over 12 applicants, and 7 people showed up to this meeting, so there's a good chance i'm a lock for it if i apply...

its a year program, and from what i got out of the meeting, i could go and come back finished with a major in german. i know it'd be cool to live abroad for a long period of time, but i'm still not sure if i want to go. its not exactly something i can back out of if i get there and realize i don't like it. i've wanted to go to germany since freshman year of high school but i don't know if i can do a year over there...

worth it to just go regardless of whats going on here?

Germany is cool. Besides you can always go snowboard in teh Alps or escape to Amsterdam for a good time or 2 while you are there.

Yeah, I'd recommend it highly. Europe is amazing, and you should definitely experience it while you're still young. Simply travelling there for a month or a few weeks will only give you a limited experience. And if German is your major, then DEFINITELY go - you'll learn more there in three months than you would in four+ semesters, provided you don't do the "sheltered American who only hangs out with other sheltered Americans" approach.

Alekhine said:
Yeah, I'd recommend it highly. Europe is amazing, and you should definitely experience it while you're still young. Simply travelling there for a month or a few weeks will only give you a limited experience. And if German is your major, then DEFINITELY go - you'll learn more there in three months than you would in four+ semesters, provided you don't do the "sheltered American who only hangs out with other sheltered Americans" approach.

im currently a business/german major. i'm not very far in the business part of it yet, but if i do this i will basically be holding off on the business part until i'm back, but all my german major requirements will be done. i don't even know if i want to do business for sure, i guess this would give me an excuse to take a year off from it and find out if there is something else i want to do. i'll have taken a full 2 years of german + 4 years of high school german by the time i go, i still don't think i'm anywhere near where i need to be linguistically to actually live there, and i have 2 quarters worth of courses that i'll be taking before the program starts.

i want to be fluent, i know that won't happen if i just take german language courses here(i'm ~4 quarters from having taken every language course offered at osu right now). i guess i'm worried about getting there and not knowing wtf is going on...

cheezit said:
im currently a business/german major. i'm not very far in the business part of it yet, but if i do this i will basically be holding off on the business part until i'm back, but all my german major requirements will be done. i don't even know if i want to do business for sure, i guess this would give me an excuse to take a year off from it and find out if there is something else i want to do. i'll have taken a full 2 years of german + 4 years of high school german by the time i go, i still don't think i'm anywhere near where i need to be linguistically to actually live there, and i have 2 quarters worth of courses that i'll be taking before the program starts.

i want to be fluent, i know that won't happen if i just take german language courses here(i'm ~4 quarters from having taken every language course offered at osu right now). i guess i'm worried about getting there and not knowing wtf is going on...

Well at least you have some knowledge of the language - that's all you really need for the first few months: survival German. After that, you start to pick it up more and more. Within a year, you'll be surprised at how skilled you've become with the language - six months even, as long as you make an effort to talk with people, and don't let them constantly practice their English on you.

As a pre-requisite, get yourself watching German movies - lots of them. I know people who've practically learned whole languages this way. If you need help finding them, contact me in tribes IRC and I can point you to a bunch of them on the net, with subtitles. My nick in there is either charliebucket or Alekhine.

Dude go I'm sure it will be a great experience. And the few Germans I know speak gooder English then me

Alekhine said:
Well at least you have some knowledge of the language - that's all you really need for the first few months: survival German. After that, you start to pick it up more and more. Within a year, you'll be surprised at how skilled you've become with the language - six months even, as long as you make an effort to talk with people, and don't let them constantly practice their English on you.

As a pre-requisite, get yourself watching German movies - lots of them. I know people who've practically learned whole languages this way. If you need help finding them, contact me in tribes IRC and I can point you to a bunch of them on the net, with subtitles. My nick in there is either charliebucket or Alekhine.

i watch a few german movies, don't have many tho.
well...its getting you out of ohio...thats reason enough

lol, thats one of the reasons i gave when the originally asked me why i was interested.

bonn is kina gay b/c of all the government stuff going down. if your planning on having a liberal political career then bonn would be great 4 u.

germany is a great nation. u shall be welcomed with open arms especially since u learned which is a great honor 4 u.

german movies rentable at hollywood video are:
run lola run
das boot (the boat)
stalingrad - i definately recommend watching this movie. its badass.

fibulator said:
bonn is kina gay b/c of all the government stuff going down. if your planning on having a liberal political career then bonn would be great 4 u.

germany is a great nation. u shall be welcomed with open arms especially since u learned which is a great honor 4 u.

german movies rentable at hollywood video are:
run lola run
das boot (the boat)
stalingrad - i definately recommend watching this movie. its badass.

what government stuff is going on right now in bonn? i'd be going next september if i go. the people i talked to who went last year said there isnt much going on in bonn but its like a 20 minute free train ride to cologne, so thats not bad.

and i've seen those movies, have run lola run on dvd.

If your german isn't good, be prepared to have people respond in english. That happened to me a couple times when I was in germany years ago

Oh, and gummi is a condom, not chewing gum. I learned that the hard way

cheezit said:
what government stuff is going on right now in bonn? i'd be going next september if i go. the people i talked to who went last year said there isnt much going on in bonn but its like a 20 minute free train ride to cologne, so thats not bad.

and i've seen those movies, have run lola run on dvd.

hah i was just bs-ing about bonn. i forgot berlin is the capitol now or something.

Koln is cool, if you go to that cathedral and climb all the way up, bring something soft like a banana to throw off the balcony

After the 30 minutes of climbing steps you'll feel like a tool if you get up there empty handed

Back