Learning to speak another language?

Violent

Veteran XX
anyone here bi-lingual? suggestions on what to learn first... i heard french is easy... and heard german is hard but its similar to sweedish and norweigan...

me and a buddy just bought this program that has lessons to teach 31 languages it was 9 bucks and i doubt that i will get anything major out of it but it should be fun

It gets progressively harder to learn a second language as you get older :chill:

I learned English at 10, it was easy as pie. I started learning French at 14 for over 4 years and I don't know a single word of it right now.

Violent said:
anyone here bi-lingual? suggestions on what to learn first... i heard french is easy... and heard german is hard but its similar to sweedish and norweigan...

me and a buddy just bought this program that has lessons to teach 31 languages it was 9 bucks and i doubt that i will get anything major out of it but it should be fun

german is a fun language to learn, but as for ease...spanish, as it's closer to english than most

it also depends where you live. if you live in california, arizona, texas, etc...spanish is a good language to learn.

I've always heard that French is a mother-fucking bitch to learn. Up there with Mandarin.

HelenKeller said:
it also depends where you live. if you live in california, arizona, texas, etc...spanish is a good language to learn.

spanish is a good idea in general...there are a lot of 'spaniards' all over the place these days.

Violent said:

Being that I speak French, I think I'm more than qualified to tell you that French is all but easy to learn.

On the other hand, the day you'll be picking up french speaking chicks you won't be regretting the time you invested in learning it ;)

Max

edit: I also speak spanish, altho not as good as English. The thing is Spanish ain't so far from French, so once you learn one, it helps to some extend for the other.

Max007 said:
Spanish ain't so far from French, so once you learn one, it helps to some extend for the other.

French, Spanish and Italian are all (more or less) really fucked up Latin.

So, if you learn Latin the other 3 fall into place.

Just like Greek and russian have the same roots (mongolian i think) so when I hear someone speak russian i can pick words out and it sort of makes sense.

slut said:
ditto

fato ti poosta moo.

I'm really bad at writing in greek but...

Then thello na to fow. Ti kanis? Kala ese?

Afta ta pethya etho ene vlakes.

Again, REALLY bad at writing greek (my mother hates me for it)

Whoop said:
French, Spanish and Italian are all (more or less) really fucked up Latin.

So, if you learn Latin the other 3 fall into place.

Just like Greek and russian have the same roots (mongolian i think) so when I hear someone speak russian i can pick words out and it sort of makes sense.

Yep.

But like you said, you only pick up words here and there, some of the stuff is completly different and other words that sound alike have totally different meanings.

Max

im pretty good in german, not fluent yet though

i want to be fluent in german and japanese by the time i leave college

Back