mySQL -> MS SQL

Beren

TribalWar Aussie
Veteran XX
For my software engineering project I have been developing a mutliplayer online game.. anyways all the user data is stored in a database, and we have been developing it on mySQL (interfacing through java with our flash client). Our final product will actually be running on a MS SQL Server, and I am porting it over at the moment, but i was wondering if anyone who has experience with these can tell me what the difference is between the two syntax wise?

cost(mySQL wins)
efficiency(mySQL wins for generalized queries)
data integrity(MS SQL wins)

oh yea, platform scalability (mySQL wins)

SarcaStick said:
cost(mySQL wins)

oh aye i concur.. i prefer mysql hands down. it is your third point there that i am using it. my project is for the education department.

Hell this is only the second time i have used MS SQL.. it sucks ass.

Beren said:
oh aye i concur.. i prefer mysql hands down. it is your third point there that i am using it. my project is for the education department.

select [fields] from
where [field] in (Select [field] from
)

is win :D.

If you need any help with MS SQL, I use it on a daily basis here at work. :)

This post will be helpful:

pyfgcrl
aoeuidhtns
qjkxbmwvz

Use that thing ^

edit: holy shit, i broke the table somehow

or stinkfist broke it

Stinkfist said:
select [fields] from
where [field] in (Select [field] from
)

is win :D.

If you need any help with MS SQL, I use it on a daily basis here at work. :)

I want to use u on a daily basis :browsmile

SarcaStick said:
cost(mySQL wins)

cost = mySQL
efficiency <> mySQL => MS SQL... Stored Procs and Subqueries are your friend
data integrity -> MS SQL

scalability -> MS SQL
Portability to multiple platforms -> mySQL

As for porting it, feel free to find me, I use both on a regular basis.

now remember Triston, i said generalized, meaning simple queries.
and simple meaning nothing to do with stored procedures. mysql supports sub queries.

I've used mysql for tw and MS SQL at work. I think MS SQL is easier to use just because I can draw an ER Diagram and that makes/edits the db. Yet to find something like that for mysql thats free.

hmm seem to have it working now.. java hating it, but everything is in. Seems there are some more reserved words in MS SQL. I had them as variables in mysql no probs, but not MSSQL, plus the auto-increment is different.

Is using MySQL for a high volume and secure transaction (credit card numbers, etc) site a good idea? I gather from these posts MSSQL is the better way to go?

Beren said:

Beren said:

I love MySQL, but there's quite a bit more in terms of MS SQL advantages as opposed to just "data integrity". MS SQL is one thing Microsoft did a pretty good job with. Yes, it is "bloated" with features. But some basic reasons MySQL falls short would be:

- It does not support transactions. This is pretty big, IMO. Some people make ridiculous statements like "transactions are not necessary in 95% of production databases" based on a very narrow set of experiences, or a basic misunderstanding of the reasons for transactions in the first place.

- It doesn't fully support the current SQL standards (a large reason for it's speed).

- Last I looked, they still don't support foreign key constraints. This could be lumped in the pile with "data integrity", but it's an exceptionally good feature to have in a database which can make updates that span multiple tables into a less painful query to code.

- MySQL does not support database Views, Stored Procedures, Triggers, etc...

- If any data loss at all, no matter how small, is mission-critical, MySQL is the wrong tool.

Apologies if they've slipped one of these features in without me knowing.

Last edited:
EnergyMan said:
Is using MySQL for a high volume and secure transaction (credit card numbers, etc) site a good idea? I gather from these posts MSSQL is the better way to go?

My opinion:

MySQL is great if you're looking for a fast, free database that has a shitload of excellent support on the web.

In most other cases I'd recommend a different database, especially where data protection / integrity is essential, which it sounds like it would be for you. MSSQL.

Back