Great places to travel

Ares

Veteran XX
I am taking a trip early next year and was wondering where you guys would go if you could go any place in the world.

I'm leaning towards Japan at the moment

I'd like to visit Prague again. If given the choice to go somewhere I haven't been before I'd like to go somewhere in the Himalayas.

thailand

or you could do the whole western europe scene... I did that. meh

Australia and the orient would be my destination(s) of choice if I had the means at this point in time.

Istanbul

I am a bit biased, but there are very good reasons I would like to go there (again)

Hundreds of years of history. Istanbul started out a small settlement around 657 bc and then was later conquered by Alexander the great. It was later destroyed and then rebuilt as Constaninople and made capital of the eastern Roman empire. Then the Turks Conquered it in 1453 and renamed it Istanbul.

During the Middle Ages Constantinople was considered a beacon of hope amidst the chaos of Europe. Being the most fortified city ever built, it had fortifications surrounding the entire city. It withstood dozens of sieges over hundreds of years before finally falling to Mehmet the Conqueror in 1453.
silvergate.jpg

Istanbul3.JPG

Theres also the years old church of St Sophia (hagia sophia) in the city's sultan ahmet district..

ayasofya.jpg

...and the Blue Mosque right across from it...

14.jpg

I could go on and on, but there is just so much to do in Istanbul

Thailand is still my second choice

I'm reluctant to go to Japan because of how expensive it can be..

time is not an issue and i don't plan on backpacking

Something tells me that Ares is looking to score with chicks and get drunk in a foreign land and not necessarily immerse himself in the culture of said foreign land.

I could be way off base though...

-§trife- said:
Something tells me that Ares is looking to score with chicks and get drunk in a foreign land and not necessarily immerse himself in the culture of said foreign land.

I could be way off base though...

yes you are way off base

thanks

hrmmm...

you will be traveling with a suitcase? I suggest an internalframe backpack. You can walk with all your crap on your back instead of carrying it.

If time isn't an issue, I'll assume that money is. Make what you have, last... if it is 1k to 10k... Go to the book store and spend as much time as you can reading travel guides and what not. (let's go, lonely planet, etc) Maximize your time. Exposure to other places and ways of life is the absolute best thing a young person can experience.

gud 4 u ;]

Not to mention the Cyprus problem. Too bad Greece doesn't suck American dick like Turkey has (historically). :cat:

Bionic said:
hrmmm...

you will be traveling with a suitcase? I suggest an internalframe backpack. You can walk with all your crap on your back instead of carrying it.

If time isn't an issue, I'll assume that money is. Make what you have, last... if it is 1k to 10k... Go to the book store and spend as much time as you can reading travel guides and what not. (let's go, lonely planet, etc) Maximize your time. Exposure to other places and ways of life is the absolute best thing a young person can experience.

gud 4 u ;]

have you been to thailand?

do you want to see my duck? (on the log) ((to mauvro))

I was involved with a girl from thailand... ;]

everything I have heard, seen, experienced (there were many thais at the linguistics school I went to) has made me want ot go there.

do you speak any other lanugage besides English? are you willing to learn the necessary phrases for where you're going?

I know you pry are... it is jsut hat the more you know of their language, the more friendly they will be to you.

Back