do-not-call list unbanned

Ehh I kind of agreed that this was stepping outside the bounds of the FTC. They're basically putting lots of companies out of business and thousands of people out of jobs just so you can save a few phone calls a month that you can just hang up on anyway.

yeah i'm not sure it was the best idea to get rid of them... i personally will enjoy less phone calls, but economically it lays off tons of people. i'm rather confused actually as to what was the right thing to do.

uhh, i don't want people calling me, it's not like the government just picked phone numbers to put on the list. it's totally optional, so why should they bitch?

Ixiterra said:
Ehh I kind of agreed that this was stepping outside the bounds of the FTC. They're basically putting lots of companies out of business and thousands of people out of jobs just so you can save a few phone calls a month that you can just hang up on anyway.

my biggest objection is the way they sell MY information to each other like a commodity. I get no money for my information. :fu: telemarketers.

gibsonic said:
my biggest objection is the way they sell MY information to each other like a commodity. I get no money for my information. :fu: telemarketers.

And every other company you've ever submitted information to doesn't?

Ixiterra said:
And every other company you've ever submitted information to doesn't?

but I have business dealings with them, I know some of them sell my info, but what gets me is the people they sell it two selling it again or using it to hound me.

Imagine for a minute that telemarketers tactics could be used on your television. OH SHIT, in the middle of the fucking night or during dinner time my TV just cuts on and all I hear is some moron read a script without taking a breath and annoy the fuck outta me and my privacy. I PAY for my phone number. If they want to call me to try to sell me something, they need to be pitching in on my phone bill.

gibsonic said:
but I have business dealings with them, I know some of them sell my info, but what gets me is the people they sell it two selling it again or using it to hound me.

Imagine for a minute that telemarketers tactics could be used on your television. OH SHIT, in the middle of the fucking night or during dinner time my TV just cuts on and all I hear is some moron read a script without taking a breath and annoy the fuck outta me and my privacy. I PAY for my phone number. If they want to call me to try to sell me something, they need to be pitching in on my phone bill.

It's called a TV commercial, ever hear of it?

Ixiterra said:
You think cable would be as cheap as it is if it weren't for commercials? Those companies are paying part of the bill.

the counterargument to the potential loss of jobs involved would be the many historical comparisons of jobs being obsoleted by new technologies. this imposes the survival of the fittest in the job market pushing people to set higher goals, attend school, and in the end strengthening the country by becoming more competitive in the international community. it also pushes businesses to upgrade obsolete procedures, as is the case of telemarketing, to stay competitive.

Ixiterra said:

that is what mute and the channel button are for. i know it's basically the same thing as hanging up on a telemarketer, but at least i get to enjoy the Fanta girls, Victoria Secret models, and previews for Nip/Tuck.

I would actually be satisfied if all telemarketers were required to allow their caller ID to be shown and to have some sort of tag like "TM - Free Cruises" or something. This would only benefit those with caller ID so I would also like to for them to have a specialized ring that way we don't have to get up to answer if we know it is an unwanted call.

Khushi said:
the counterargument to the potential loss of jobs involved would be the many historical comparisons of jobs being obsoleted by new technologies. this imposes the survival of the fittest in the job market pushing people to set higher goals, attend school, and in the end strengthening the country by becoming more competitive in the international community. it also pushes businesses to upgrade obsolete procedures, as is the case of telemarketing, to stay competitive.

:sigh: But this isn't factory workers being put out of jobs by robots.

Back