I need to rant....

Kryptik

Contributor
Veteran XV
/rant

For the second week in a row I have heard on the news about a kid bringing a gun to school and shooting someone for being teased. I realize that as society grows more complex, times get harder for the younger people. At the same time I also see parenting getting much worse. Bottom line, is that most parents dont give a shit about their kids and let society bring them up.

I strongly believe that if parents actually took a active role in their child's life that there would be much less of the bullshit we here on the news today. I mean, how bad can a situation get that your child doesnt want to talk to you or you have no time or interest in talking to your child to find out whats going on in their life?? How fucking irresponsible can a parent be to let their child get ahold of a gun? (I am not saying owning a gun is wrong in any way, but saying that if you do, you need to be responsible about it).

In the end I just cant imagine that you could let your kids life get so fucked up that they feel the need to kill someone.

/end rant

Feel free to debate this opinion or express your own.

I need to rant a bit myself, it takes 3 to make a row. Two is only consecutive. Sorry, please don't shoot me.

I think parents should shoot their kids at least once, so they know how much it hurts and will make them rethink their decision to ever shoot someone.

Kids don't always talk to their parents about problems. Sure, they should be active, but that doesn't prevent everything.

20oz said:
I think parents should shoot their kids at least once, so they know how much it hurts and will make them rethink their decision to ever shoot someone.

goddamn i like the cut of your jib

It is so much easier for bad parents to blame television, video games, music, or society in general for "corrupting" their children than to take responsibility for their own personal downfalls. frankly, television/videogames/music make terrible parents.

but here is the question that arises out of this discussion: why are parents not there for their children? is it because so many families (in both the US and canada) live below the poverty lines, and have both parents working jobs that pay the pathetically low minimum wage that both our countries pay? When you force 2 parents to work just to make 50% of a basic existence, there is no way they can afford adequate childcare (again because neither of our countries make adequate healthcare affordable enough for low-income families). You pay 5.25 US or 6.85 CAN as a low-end wage, and all you get is kids growing up with no parents.

Kryptic said:
he got the gun from his father's room who is a cop no less. His career is over me thinks.

My dad was a cop for 21 years, I had full access to his weapon if I wanted it but I never touched it. I was always scared of the ass kickin I guess. I don't like guns at all even though I own one now. It just sits there waiting for somebody to break into my house.

Honestly.....If parents would molest their children more, then their children wouldn't feel that they needed to do "bad" things to get attention :rolleyes:

Bridude said:
My dad was a cop for 21 years, I had full access to his weapon if I wanted it but I never touched it. I was always scared of the ass kickin I guess. I don't like guns at all even though I own one now. It just sits there waiting for somebody to break into my house.

Still you put some sort of lock on it. They sell ones that lock around the trigger. I mean that is just stupid.

Crom said:
It is so much easier for bad parents to blame television, video games, music, or society in general for "corrupting" their children than to take responsibility for their own personal downfalls. frankly, television/videogames/music make terrible parents.

but here is the question that arises out of this discussion: why are parents not there for their children? is it because so many families (in both the US and canada) live below the poverty lines, and have both parents working jobs that pay the pathetically low minimum wage that both our countries pay? When you force 2 parents to work just to make 50% of a basic existence, there is no way they can afford adequate childcare (again because neither of our countries make adequate healthcare affordable enough for low-income families). You pay 5.25 US or 6.85 CAN as a low-end wage, and all you get is kids growing up with no parents.

True. and this also raising the point of if you are not capable of raising a child (mentally, physically or financially) then you should not have one. That falls along the lines of being responsible.

Kerosene31 said:
Still you put some sort of lock on it. They sell ones that lock around the trigger. I mean that is just stupid.

I agree 100%. Although having a locked/gun for protection is usless. When my daughter gets old enough I will prolly just get rid of it and go to a trusty old bat.

I blame TV, interweb, and video games. Not because of they're corruptive, but they are a distraction to keep kids from living their childhood.

If parents try to shy kids away from such electronics, they would be more adaptive to social situations

Yea I'm gonna put a trigger lock on my gun so that when someone breaks in I have to take the time to unlock it, while they shoot me a few dozen times. No thx.

better to teach the kid, this is my gun. If you touch it without my permission, I will beat you.

inValidPanda said:
I blame TV, interweb, and video games. Not because of they're corruptive, but they are a distraction to keep kids from living their childhood.

If parents try to shy kids away from such electronics, they would be more adaptive to social situations

That is true to an extent. There is no substitute for spending time with your kids but not letting them play games etc is not going to solve anything. Teaching your children morals and responsiblity should prevent them from thinking it would be cool to act out a violent video game

inValidPanda said:

If that kid didn't have access to a gun would he have used something else. It's much easier to shoot somebody than to beat them to death. Physically and mentally.

Bridude said:
I agree 100%. Although having a locked/gun for protection is usless. When my daughter gets old enough I will prolly just get rid of it and go to a trusty old bat.

Get an alarm system. It will give you enough warning, and even more importantly, an alarm system probably won't end up killing members of your family.

Back